Recent_Comments

Monday, August 8, 2011

Swim Diana, Swim!

I'm snug as a bug in my home right now while rains are pelting my island.  Not just my island, but much of South Florida.  Seems that Emily, although now just a rain event, is all over our area.

As I write, my thoughts are with a lone swimmer out in the  Florida Straits by the name of Diana Nyad.  Remember her?  She's an endurance swimmer.  I remember her from when I was a child. Back in the 1970s she attempted an open water swim from Cuba to Key West.  Back then, she swam for close to 50 hours in a shark cage, attempting the same thing.  She didn't make it, currents put her off course and she had to abandon the swim.

Diana is now 61 years old, making another attempt.  This time she's not in a shark cage, she in open water. For the record to be considered valid, she must complete the swim without a wet suit. Also, she is not allowed to touch the boats or crew that are around her for nutritional and medical needs.

Diana jumped into the sea off the coast of Havana before 8pm last night. I've been checking the internet through the day seeing how is she doing.  Updates say that she's swimming strongly, no mention has been made on anything I've read about the rains moving through impeding her progress.

I admire Diana Nyad. She's trained hard for this event. She's pushing boundaries of what's "expected" of people's capability at her age. She's a role model in my opinion.  If the currents happen to bring her landing to my beach, she will receive a heros welcome (and some darn tasty morsels).

We hope Diana completes her journey. Although she's out there as a lone swimmer, she has captured the hearts of MANY people, and  we're all rooting for her.  Go Diana, go!!!  Swim strong & conquer!

No comments:

Post a Comment