Recent_Comments

Thursday, August 11, 2011

Her Name is Rio

Meet Rio!

Has she stolen your heart yet too?  She's got mine, boy has she ever.

Friends are on a mini-trip visiting family.  One thing lead to another, and we volunteered to care for her while they are away.  Rio is teeny tiny, 3.6 pounds at last weigh in.  Actually, she looks like a puny dust mop to me, and I'm constantly looking down as I walk to make sure she's not an accidental football.  So far, so good.

Its been years since I've been around a dog on a regular basis.  When we moved here, in my plans was the adoption/rescue of a greyhound or two.  The flaw in that sentence is "my plans."  Its not feasible to me or any dog to adopt while running this business, I realized that when I got into the nitty gritty of daily life here.  Too much of my time is eaten up, there's just not enough time for a greyhound, or any dog for that matter. Rio is another story though. She's tiny, and I can handle her.

She's quiet.  She doesn't bark much. She probably hadn't even found her voice until she met my cats. Aggie and Luciana skulked off under furniture, and Rio just wanted to say hi and "let's be friends."  The kitties wanted none of that, so Rio decided to tell them in woof-speak "please, let's be friends."  Otherwise, she hasn't spoken much.  My cats look like giants compared to her, its funny to see them so confused by such a very small animal.

Rio is happiest when she is with someone.  She gets lonely quickly, and tends to mope a bit when she thinks she's alone.  Her happiest moments are in the morning when we get up and she sees us for the first time of the day.  She wiggles so much its hard to even pick her up; the whole back half of her body is wagging, not just her tail.

Rio is a fan of dancing, and that takes up a lot of our together time (she's a fan of VanHalen too!)   She tires out quickly because she's so small.

Rio is a sweet girl.  My house is turned upside down with fun things for her, her little pink bed, her pee pads (she still learning that.... I'd say she's running about 50/50 on percentages during her time here so far), and so forth.  I looked at my living room and decided this is much like having a new baby in the house. Play pen in the living room, toys scattered about, special food in the house, and neither of us wanting to leave for too long because we'll just miss her too much.  Its bliss.

Rio is only here at doggy B&B for a few days.  I'm going to miss her bunches when I have to relinquish her back to her parents.  Until then, I'm getting in as many dances as possible, along with as many puppy kisses as I can.  I completely forgot the joys a dog brings into life.  Woof.

No comments:

Post a Comment