Recent_Comments

Thursday, August 4, 2011

Angels Among Us

Some days I have better stories to report than other days. Today was a rough day in the Keys animal kingdom. Here's what's up.

Early this morning we learned that a loggerhead turtle was brought to the Turtle Hospital in Marathon with a spear shot through its skull. We learned this when Mr. Happy Vegan happened to call the most amazing and wonderful vet, Dr. Doug Mader, of Marathon Animal Hospital just to ask a question. Dr. Doug, his wife, Dr. Gerri, and their staff donate their services to the Turtle Hospital http://www.turtlehospital.org/ (and many other wildlife rescue organizations) when needed. And believe me the need is frequent.

Anyway, Mr. Happy Vegan happened to call Dr. Doug this morning to ask him something. By simple good fortune, that call was placed in between Dr. Doug starting the turtle's surgery, and him rushing home to get additional tools because he at that point couldn't remove the spear. As he told the story of the turtle to Mr. Happy Vegan, of course the question comes "was this an intentional act" the answer came swift and without question... "absolutely."

So, all day I've been wondering about the turtle who some violent abuser had intentionally shot with a spear through its skull. As I was driving home from the gym, just minutes from home and being able to find out about the turtle, I saw "something" on the side of the road. "Something" sticking up on the grassy area past the deer fencing on Big Pine. I looked back in my rear view mirror and saw the "something" kind of move. All thoughts of the turtle went by the boards as I pulled over waiting for traffic both ways to clear. As soon as I could, I wheeled the car back around in the other direction, and pulled over near the "something." It was another cormorant, in almost the exact same location I rescued "Hope" not too long ago. This time I didn't have my magic purple hair on my side, all I had was a large towel.

I got out of the car with the big towel and began a very slow walk to the bird. Now a small string of traffic was coming up the other direction, lead by a large white van who was speeding. Speeding is common on Big Pine, I'm sorry to say. I'm constantly passed on the double yellow line, tailgated, and so forth as I obey the speed limits here, especially at night when it drops to 35 mph. I saw the bird panicking on the other side of the road, and she bolted right out in the path of the white speeding van. The guy had to be doing 50-55mph. I screamed, and cringed. I couldn't watch. He didn't slow down, he didn't swerve. Nothing. He didn't care. I waited for the thud. It didn't come. I looked over, and saw the bird made it to the other side, and was smashing himself against the deer fencing, trying to get through. This was a terrified animal. I ran to him, and threw the towel over him, as I did so he began screaming and tried to attack me. I knelt down to him and covered him well with the towel, hooding him completely. He calmed enough so that I could pick him up. I ran to the car, and off to Maya's I went. When I got there, a very quick assessment was done. He was bleeding, but didn't seem to have a broken wing (thankfully). His foot was probably broken though, and I don't know what else could be wrong. I spoke briefly with the angel who was going to help this bird, and left. http://www.floridakeyswildliferescue.org/

I cried the whole way home.

When I got home, Mr. Happy Vegan asked how was the bird. He knew what happened because I called from the car. After I got past my "I hate people who don't care" ranting, he told me the turtle survived! Dr. Doug has removed the spear! It didn't go through his brain, and he saved the eye that the spear almost destroyed. The turtle is resting in an antibiotic bath as I type this, and it is expected (listen closely) that this turtle will be a candidate for release in just 3 short weeks. From a spear in his head this morning to being released later this month. There is a reward up for information leading to the capture of the abuser who shot this turtle.

There are angels among us.

Through all this, I guess now is just a good a time as any to tell you... one of the 2 surviving stranded pilot whales was transferred very recently to Sea World where he will live out the rest of his life. In captivity. At Sea World. I understand the intentions were all good to save this pilot whale's life... it is a life worth living, a life that has value, this I believe. However, to think of that soul in a tank at a sea park is heartbreaking to me.

As for the other pilot whale, he's still critically ill, being worked on at the Marine Mammal Conservancy. People are trying to save him. I just wonder what will his life be like? Can he ever go free? These animals simply do not belong in captivity. Do a little reading on cetaceans and you will begin to see that these highly intelligent creatures do not belong as exhibits in parks on any level. Some reading this may not agree, but these are my feelings.

So, there it is for today. Angels are among us. If you want to donate to Maya at Wildlife Rescue, or The Turtle Hospital in Marathon, I've given you the links. They're the "real deal" of charities, and your donations are tax deductible for both of these organizations.

No comments:

Post a Comment