Recent_Comments

Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Ack, Too Much Stuff

Ha ha, poor Mr. Happy Vegan.  He has to live with the aftermath of me when I watch too many episodes of "Hoarders."  Its true, that show is my new guilty pleasure. Not that I take pleasure in the misery of other people, not at all. Instead, what I mean is television in general (often referred to as "the idiot box") can be an overall waste of time. So, watching television is in itself, a guilty pleasure for me.

So, I'm watching too many episodes of Hoarders. What this translates to is "ack, too much stuff!"  So, I spent many hours yesterday working on a large closet full of supplies, pulling out that which is unnecessary, and re-organizing that which is needed. I have several piles in my living/dining room right now destined for various local charities. Mr. Happy Vegan returned home yesterday in the middle of my "too much stuff" freak out and began surveying the lay of the land. "Why are you getting rid of this?" "We should keep this" "I can use this" were words I just didn't want to hear as he pulled thing after thing out of my piles. The poor guy, I put up with it as long as I could, but finally the freak out escalated even more and my "TOO MUCH STUFF"  tirade was more than even he would bear.  He backed off pretty quickly.

So, I'm on another tear through this place. Nothing is sacred, no space shall be overlooked. I'm really working the "ack too much stuff" angle pretty hard. Any time I feel the urge to keep something, I can pretty much be assured another episode of "Hoarders" will be running, and I'll tune in to keep my momentum going, then get right back to the work.

Its not easy living right where you work, organization skills must be sharp.  I'm organized, I have a system for everything.  But YOU try living and working in a small space with your partner... he who tends to keep more stuff than even me (he'll deny it, oh how he'll deny it!)  If anyone ever  told me I'd be paring down my possessions to what they actually are now, and then get rid of even more, I would have said "no way!"  But, here I am. Letting it go. Happy to push it out the door. I actually have EMPTY cabinets in my office right now.  Completely empty. I open them periodically just to bear witness to the fruits of my labor. THEY'RE EMPTY, YIPPEE!!

If you don't hear from me for another day or two, you can trust that I'm buried elbow deep in another closet, filling box after box with stuff to go from this place to another place.  Mr. Happy Vegan is keeping a very low profile right now, I'm telling ya, he's pretty sure he's going to be packed and loaded into a trailer next.  He doesn't really  need to worry too much.  As long as he keeps his mitts off my "to go" pile, he is safe.  If not, I am not responsible for what might happen next.


No comments:

Post a Comment