Recent_Comments

Sunday, July 10, 2011

A Respite

Yesterday afternoon, and this afternoon, brought a respite our way. Boy, did we ever need it.

You know with all the negative going on regarding the nearby illegal shoreline hardening, we've been wearing down. I admit it, yup, being an environmental superhero can be draining. I just don't feel the need to re-cap the story, you can get the gist of it on my last post.

So, Mr. Happy Vegan and I, well, we've been drained. The antidote? Get out on the water. Even for a water fearing, non-swimmer like me, the water is the antidote.

Mr. Happy Vegan took me out for a boat ride yesterday afternoon. Just the two of us. A lot was going on in our neck of the woods, ocean-wise, yesterday. It was the annual Underwater Music Festival at Looe Key yesterday, afterwards was "Wetstock" out at Picnic Island. We didn't go to either event, but I did listen to probably the best music of the year on our local radio station for the 4 hour simulcast of the Undersea festival. It was fantastic, absolutely fantastic. So, for the afternoon we were out on the boat. We tooled around and checked out Wetstock, it was packed. We heard the music as we drifted by, but we didn't stay. Instead, we went to a more remote spot, and watched the water change color ranging from deep aquamarine to the faintest most watery version of teal you could ever think of. I didn't see any turtles swimming in the ocean yesterday, but I saw lots of terns and pelicans flying around, and quite a variety of fish.

We went back out on the boat today with family in tow. Had a good time. Didn't venture too far from home. Didn't need to. The water was bathtub warm, the waves barely noticeable. Lots of sea life was skittering by the whole time checking us out. No need to worry about sun poisoning. Believe me, I was blocked head to toe in SPF 10,000. No piper to pay this time.

As we drifted, floated, and motored across the ocean the past couple days, I was reminded WHY I care so much for our Mother Earth and what is at stake in our crusade. I had time to play in the sea, nourish my soul, wash away my cares. The sea is a mystery. The sea is my comfort. The sea is a gift to us all.

These Happy Vegans have steeled our resolve even more. I am not alone, for Mr. Happy Vegan has dug his heels in, ready to fight even harder for what is right. We may not always be popular, but you can't please everyone. I've dedicated the latest round of wrangling for righting the environmental wrongs to my little 6 year old nephew who played in the sea for a short time with us today. It's all new to him, this amazing colored warm sea, filled with strange sea life. He watched in wonder as all sorts of birds twirled above his head. He didn't always know what to make of it all, but these happy vegans did promise him we'll do our best to leave him the best planet we can.

The respite was the antidote. Its a new week, and a full agenda. We're at the helm, on the job. Wish us luck, we're going to need it.

No comments:

Post a Comment