Recent_Comments

Saturday, July 30, 2011

Peaches!

They're here. Peaches, that is.

I'm peach fan. Fresh off a tree (ever had one like that?) is the best, at least in my mind. But, there's almost no way to prepare a peach that would make me unhappy. I've had them cooked, grilled, roasted, fried, and raw. Sprinkled on salads, over cereal, and with beans & rice. I've had peach pie too, but (hoping I don't make any enemies now...) that is my least favorite way. Overall, I don't like my fruit cooked, somehow peaches can be the exception for me. One of my best-ever friends made peaches one time, years ago. They were, to this day, the best peaches I've ever had. I don't know what she did, she couldn't really remember. But, she cooked them somehow with some brown sugar syrup (I think), and to the day she died, I interrogated her about those peaches. To her, the master cook that she was, no recipe was ever used, it all was done on the fly. So, her on the fly peaches went to the grave with her, the memory (of both her and those amazing peaches) did not.

Being that I'm all about the peaches, I've been greatly aided by the produce manager at the chain grocery store I shop at in Marathon. His name is Chuck, and he's a great guy. Its been years since I've been treated so well by anyone at a big store like he treats me. And, the most wonderful thing is, this isn't special treatment for me. He treats everyone this way. He's smiling, he's chatting, he's helping people out. Trust me, I don't think he has an easy job, I've seen him there early morning, and very late some nights. He's running from here to there, never, ever have I seen him really resting. So, Chuck is a wonderful connection for me when it comes to getting USA grown USDA organic produce. And, being that its summertime and all, Chuck is getting me cases of USA grown USDA organic peaches.

Its just after 11am right now, and I've had 3 peaches already.

I'm buying these organic peaches by the case, 2 at a time usually. This is on a one to two times weekly situation. That's a lot of peaches. So, what am I DOING with all these peaches? I'm slicing them and serving them for guests over pancakes and french toast. I'm dicing them and sauteing them with vegetables and beans to make frittata filling. I'm serving them fresh, cut up with my raw vanilla cashew cream. And, I'm freezing bag after bag of them, stashing them away for smoothies, cobblers, and muffins.

Before any of us know it, winter will be here. We'll be stuck with the usual suspects in the produce department... squash, apples, potatoes and so on. Me? I'll be pulling sunshine out of my freezer some of those days.... those organic peaches will be winking me a "hello baby" while the rest of the country languishes in a deep freeze.

Peaches, peaches, peaches. I'm not alone in my love affair with peaches. Lots of people write songs about them, cute little ditties about peaches, millions of peaches.

The peaches are perfect today... my 2 current cases are just perfectly ripe now. I'm stashing some in the fridge for the next few days, and the rest are going to be cut up and frozen in just a few minutes. Then, come Tuesday I'll be back in Marathon, asking smiling helpful Chuck to order me 2 more cases of beautiful peaches.

Peaches for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment