Recent_Comments

Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Living Dead Girl

I'm back. Did you miss me? Did you even notice I was gone?

I was among the ranks of the living dead for the past few days. Not exactly sure how things got so bad so fast, but they did.

Sun poisoning clobbered me. Took me down for the count. Fever, rash, severe pain, itching. No sleep. NO SLEEP. NONE. I was a zombie vegan.

I just don't get sick. I attribute this mostly to my relatively healthy lifestyle including a vegan diet heavy on fresh, unprocessed foods, and regular exercise. Throw in a generous dose of OCD hand washing, and overall I'm good to go with the "I don't get sick" claims. Flashback to 8 days ago.... happy vegan on the roof with beverages, iPod and teeny clothes. With a prescription from a doctor that can cause photo sensitivity, which I completely and totally forgot that possible side effect.

By the end of last week, I was barely functional. This was all the more tragic as we had a long standing mini-road trip planned, which we went ahead with in spite of my aftermath. We went up to Ft. Lauderdale for a dinner at Sublime (which as always WAS Sublime) and some shopping for the inn. I did toss in a hefty dose of shopping for a dress for that upcoming special event this fall. By the time we were in the car returning home, I had not slept for 2 days (you can ask Mr. Happy Vegan, he will confirm this as my constant writhing and moaning in pain caused him to have minimal sleep). Come Sunday I was flattened in bed. I barely began to rejoin the ranks of the true living yesterday, and this morning when I awoke I actually feel thisclose to normal (whatever normal is anymore for any of us).

So, here I am. Feeling pretty good, albeit pretty contrite. I have apologized profusely to my body for the abuse it took in the sun. I have pledged to never be as foolish again. I do have the best of intentions when I say that. I'm grateful I didn't end up in the hospital (although perhaps I should have been for a moment or two?) and I'm grateful I'm back from the land of the living dead.

I'll catch you up on the details of our road trip as the days go on, including my take on the shopping experience which I'm ill equipped to deal with very well as a full fledged island girl. I'm back, and it's good to be here. Even if you didn't miss me.... I DID miss you!

No comments:

Post a Comment