Recent_Comments

Sunday, June 19, 2011

What Makes A Dad?

Today is Father's Day. Happy Father's Day to all the dads out there. Dads of the human variety, dads with furry, scaly or feathery family, and all the stand-in dads out there for those who don't have "real" dads. If you ask me "stand in dads" ARE "real dads," absolutely, for sure, no debate there.

But, what makes a dad?

In my opinion, a dad is very different from a father. Biologically, many can be a father. Realistically, that doesn't create a dad.

My dad was my hero. I've written about this before. I looked up to him. I admired and respected him, wanted to be like him, and wished I could understand what made him tick. Very basic, very complicated, all at the same time.

My dad taught me loyalty to family above all. This is the most important lesson he imparted, one even as he was facing death he communicated to me in many ways. Its a lesson that can be hard sometimes for outsiders looking in to accept or understand, especially if you don't come from a family like that. This lesson is one I took seriously, and still do. Its a lesson well taught by dad, and a lesson I know dad is proud I (and my family) take to the level that I do.

For me, one of the things that made my father a "dad" was the way he lived his life as an example to his children. He never asked for more than he would give of himself, he never expected more of us than he expected of himself. The trick in that equation is the fact that my dad gave everything of himself, and there was nothing he couldn't do. Nothing. So, he expected the same of us.

The making of a dad lies within the successes and failures in the life of a father, and to me there's really no failure when you've given all you possibly can, done everything you possibly could.

That was my dad. Giving all, doing everything.

I have done the same in return for my dad, at times being tested in ways I never could have imagined. Giving all, doing everything. My family has too. We have all learned the lesson well taught by dad, and we are proud to be children of such an incredibly amazing person.

Here, its another Father's Day without my dad. I miss him everyday, but Father's Day is especially poignant.

Today is special for many. Its a day to celebrate those dads still with us, and remember those dads who are gone. Not that we need a reason or a special date to celebrate & remember our dads.

Happy Father's Day.

No comments:

Post a Comment