Recent_Comments

Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Rain! Glorious Rain!

It's raining! Well, ok, not at this EXACT moment, but it rained a significant amount yesterday, and the forecast today is for more.

I've never been a fan of rain. It depresses me. Or, at least it did in the past. Not really anymore. When I moved here, from there, I realized I'd have more sunny days than ever before possible in my life. I also saw abundant evidence that the rain was needed by the animals (and us humans), as here we are very drought prone. This year has been one of the driest on record, and we're at record lows in the water levels. Our water comes all the day down from mainland, Florida. Through tiny pipes. We have rain barrels on every gutter (4 at last count) and wish I had more gutters just so I could have more barrels.

Yesterday even though it was raining, the Key deer were out. Lapping the water off plants, drinking out of ponds & puddles created by the rain, and out of any trough or device that could collect water. My rain barrels are full, spilling over. As I ran down the rainy street, I saw snakes slithering, birds who seemed to be dancing in the air, and tons of land crabs. I think the crabs are flooded out of some of their hidey holes, there were some big ones I saw crossing the street.

This rain does not depress me. Its making me happy. Happy the plants will enjoy new growth so the animals will have fresh, desperately needed, food. Happy the reservoirs are filling up even if its only just a bit. Happy to see the animals get a break from the heat, and happy because I'm going to see rainbows (yes, rainbows. remember them?)

Rain, glorious rain. We've got a rainy day. The animal kingdom and I are celebrating.

No comments:

Post a Comment