Recent_Comments

Sunday, April 17, 2011

A Recap

Not really sure how it happened, but its been six days since I posted here. If you asked me, I just blinked and that's all I did. Yet, 6 days have gone by. So, let's recap. Its been HOT here! Oh, fabulously so. Today we had about 30 minutes or so of rain. Here, we are in a drought. This happens pretty much every year in our region. The rain was brief, but we'll take any we can get. Even better, it was enough to fill all my rain barrels. If I knew it was going to rain, I would've moved my car out from under the trees to get a better wash. Its getting hard to read all my bumper stickers through the dust. We've begun our morning turtle walks already. No signs of nesting yet, but we volunteers of Save-A-Turtle of the Florida Keys are out there every morning looking. We have a great crew of volunteers for our stretch of beach. Mr. Happy Vegan is once again the beach coordinator for our assigned territory. I'm very excited, as I am every year, about turtles. We have some new faces volunteering for the early morning walks, and some familiar faces too. Keep your fingers crossed for a great nesting year. Loggerhead nesting numbers continue their downward spiraling trend. Every hatchling matters. We've had a higher number than usual of extra obligations over the last week. Very good friends are moving, we are going to be so sad to see them go. They have lived in the Keys for decades, and are among the nicest people you'd ever want to know. But, they're downsizing, and moving to a different locale. They will be back for frequent visits as they have family here, and they'll be here for winters, but its not the same. You know what I mean, don't you... when you have a friend you call up to chat for 2 minutes about something only that friend would find silly or whatever.... well this will be especially difficult for Mr. Happy Vegan as this is his best Keys friend. Any time someone close to us moves, its the same old story... we always say "that's it, I'm not making any more friends" because its too hard to say "so long for now." We helped them get ready for a garage sale this weekend, Mr. Happy Vegan especially helped over the week preparing. As items poured out of the garage and house for the sale, so came the stories & memories. Its really hard to see so much of your life displayed for sale. I've gone through the same thing. But, I do find the more I purge, the easier it gets, and the less "stuff" I want to acquire. We've talked about that on this blog before. I've been baking, stirring, boiling & toiling for days on end trying to come up with some contest-worthy recipes for a competition going on to celebrate Earth Day. I'm a little reluctant to say too much, because if I go and all my wonderful vegan food sucks in the eyes of the judges, I will be crushed. I'm sensitive about this kind of stuff, but I am throwing my hat (spatula?) into the ring for a competition, and let the chips fall where they may. Keep your fingers crossed, and wish me luck. I'll let you know after the event what I presented, and how I was judged. I'm still binge baking thanks to a fair amount of orders coming in over the last week, so that takes up time that ordinarily I'd have free for other chores. Today was the perfect example of a day gone flying by. I looked at my clock and it was just after 11am, the next thing I knew, it was after 9pm. How is that possible, I don't know. Tomorrow is another day, and I'm determined to get a run in, and a nap. Please, oh please, keep your fingers crossed for that nap. I'm long overdue.

No comments:

Post a Comment