Recent_Comments

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Unexpected Pleasures


Oh crap. Blogging confounds me. I was doing an entry, and it just disappeared. Its not in drafts, its not in new. Its just gone. The universe is telling me it didn't like my post, so let's have another go at it, shall we?

My travels on my road here are frequent. I drive, bicycle, walk, and run on this road. There's always something new to see. When I walk, bike or run, of course its common sense I observe more. Today brought another run, but due to chores and obligations, I didn't get out on the street til after 6. I saw a snake (trust me, he was not scary at all), 2 fawns (one of which actually attempted to follow me, it was pretty funny), and was treated to multiple songbird serenades. The thing that caught my attention the most today though was what I've posted as a photo here. I think its some type of wild honeysuckle. It was all the way up near the north end of the street. It was not in bloom just a few short days ago on my last run.

What actually got my attention first on this plant was fragrance. I ran past it and smelled an overwhelming scent. Maybe it was intensified by the time of day (sunset was approaching, and the air was heavy with dampness). This crazy flowery fragrance I smelled triggered a memory from at least 35 years ago, maybe more. I was with my then best friend walking in in the woods. We came upon a huge honeysuckle bush. She showed me how to pick the honeysuckle flower, pull the stem out and taste the nectar. We were at that bush for a while, crazy kids, sniffing the hundreds (thousands?) of flowers and savoring that nectar.

So, 30 some odd years later, here I am running on a street 1800 miles from those woods when I smell that same smell. It took only a moment to find the source of that sweet air. The smell is almost identical to the honeysuckle memories of that day with my friend in the woods. The flowers look so different though, as do the leaves, but there's no doubt, its honeysuckle. The little spiky things stick waaaaay out, and overall the flower looks completely different from what I would expect to see. I think its spikes look like cat's whiskers, wouldn't you agree? There were no bees buzzing around the moment I was there (thankfully!) and it was quite an unexpected surprise to find this bush right here on my street.

I didn't pull any flowers off to see if it was the same type of nectar inside. I realize now that nectar isn't for me, its for the animals who need it to reproduce, survive & thrive. I did, however, take the time to abandon the run for a few minutes to really savor the fragrance, and think of that memory from so many years ago.

Unexpected pleasures. Just another day in Paradise.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful photo, nice memory. The internet thing is confusing to me,too. I noticed that there is a series of numbers that appeared in my last comment,which made it look as if I was cursing. I was not. this exact series of numbers appears in other peoples posts,so I guess that it is some type of computer glitch. I do very much enjoy your posts. And for the record, I do not find it necessary to curse in my posts!

    ReplyDelete
  2. To Maryscove.... you're too funny! I see those weird numbers and such too, but I have no idea why. Sometimes facebook posts that I do have that, I agree it must be some type of glitch. I'll never figure it out, we'll all just have to live with these oddities.... keeps life interesting for us all!!! :)

    ReplyDelete