Recent_Comments

Sunday, May 16, 2010

Support

Running a B&B with your live in partner is not for the faint of heart. You live together, you work together, you fight together, and you love together. Its got its ups and downs. One thing I have learned in being here with my other half is that you've really got to love one another. Often times we're all we've got, and we need to stick together.

Yesterday was the Keys 100 run. The run is choice of a 50 mile run, a 100 mile team relay, or a 100 mile ultra marathon over the Overseas Heritage Trail (that's fancy talk for Route 1). I didn't go out yesterday, but he did. When he returned, he told me about the runners with their support teams in cars....signs & decorating all over them, as well as a few aid stations scattered in the miles he drove. We were out last year during an ultra down here, watching the runners, their support teams, etc. I cannot imagine the demons that must lurk inside for someone to tackle that run. Although its not for me, you may recall I am doing some running these days (albeit not on such a grand scale). I wanted to run on Friday but it was too hot. By the time I get out on the asphalt its usually mid-afternoon. The time "they" tell you not to "lie in the sun, exercise" or do anything "too strenuous."

Since I'm not about to scratch the hours of 11-4pm off my daily agenda, I go with the flow. Saturday's flow brought about just under a 5 mile run. It was typically hot.

I began my run not striving for anything too quick, my goal was to finish. I do not run with water, its just too annoying. I'm managing to see some interesting things, but no people. No one is out walking, running or pretty much even driving. I think all the smart people are home. I am, however, thinking about those 100-milers as I'm pushing on. My mind wanders here and there as I keep my pace, but I'm really regretting not having water with me today. I've run the miles all the way up the street, done my turn around, and am now well into the return mileage when I see a car that looks a lot like my own coming up the street, its hazards flip on as it does a U-turn about 1/8 mile in front of me and pulls over. Out pops my other half! He slaps a sign on the back of the car then just sits and waits for me. As I'm almost upon the car, he reaches in and pulls out a water bottle for me! Sweet Mercy! On the back of my car the sign he's placed has my name with a message just for me. It was actually hilarious. He lets me take a few sips, then gets into the car, turns on the stereo full blast, and begins "pacing"me with the car, just like those 100-milers on Route 1. I'm almost laughing too hard to run, but not quite. I toss the water bottle in the car, and begin running again, this time at a real runner's level. He's pacing me quickly, pushing me pretty hard to get it done. He's smiling as I'm out there running next to my car with the flashers on/stereo blasting. In between a few of those steps, I feel so good I do a happy dance, then get back to the business of my run. He paced me about one mile before leaving me to finish. Maybe that doesn't seem like much, but on this unshaded asphalt road, when I'm doing more than 3 miles, it IS a lot.

That seemingly benign gesture, something no one else would think of doing for me, is really the kind of thing that keeps us together in good times and in bad.

If you're ever thinking of going into business with your significant other, make sure its with someone who'd put the TIVO on hold, bring you some water and pace you with your favorite music on a 5 mile run in 90 degree heat, ok?

No comments:

Post a Comment