Recent_Comments

Saturday, May 1, 2010

Oil

While I will not dwell on the oil spill unfolding in the Gulf, it seems even more ridiculous if I were to ignore the reality of what simply is.

I live in the beautiful Florida Keys. What brought me here essentially is simply what exists out my front door. Natural beauty. Animals, several classified as endangered or threatened. The Atlantic Ocean on one side of me, the Gulf of Mexico to my other side, both giving salty fresh air. Beaches. Fish. Turtles. Birds. Flowers and trees. Sea grasses and dune grasses. Life and amazing living things that exist no where else in the world. Its right here for us to see and experience. Almost everything down here is dependent on the waters of the Gulf of Mexico and Atlantic Ocean in one way or another.

I share feelings of despair, horror, disbelief and fear watching things go from bad to worse on so many levels off the coast in Louisiana. I am not here to discuss my feelings on how this occurred.... it has happened, and now must be dealt with in hopes of limiting environmental and economic losses. There are several wildlife refuges in that coastal region that are imminent and immediate victims of this disaster. Living within those refuges are hundreds of species now in peril. There are people, plants and animals who survived Hurricane Katrina, but have not or will not survive this catastrophe.

We are surrounded by marine biologists and other environmental experts in the area I live. I listen very carefully when they speak. It would be a lie if I said I was anything else but flat out terrified by what I hear.

1 comment:

  1. Hurricanes are natural catastrophes that,while horrible, seem to be a thing that the ecosystem can recover from.
    This oil spill is a man-made disaster. I have quoted this line before,it seems to fit this situation: Jeff Goldblum's line from Jurassic Park"The complete lack of humility for nature that's being displayed here is staggering!" I wish all the humans and creatures on the Louisiana coast the best of luck. It is truly a horrifying thing to watch.

    ReplyDelete