Recent_Comments

Thursday, March 25, 2010

Pop


One of my best friends is turning 101 on Sunday. His name is George. Everyone calls him Pop.

I first met Pop when he was 96. I was driving down the road, and saw an old man at the street hoisting large palm fronds into trash cans. It was, I think, the month of July. Hot. Very hot. I pulled over. "Sir, would you like some help with that?" I asked. Sweat poured off his brow. He said "Your timing's perfect. I just finished. Where were ya an hour ago?" a smile flashed across his face and he busted out laughing as he saw the expression of horror on my face. Laughed so hard he almost split a side. After I realized the joke I said "I'm your new neighbor, my name is Jen." We quickly became friends (No, he didn't want any help either... "I want to do it myself" is one of his most spoken lines. Whatever "it" is depends on the day, but he wants to do it himself).

Pop and I come from different times, different worlds, different ways and different views. Yet, he is one of the best friends I've ever had. We spend a lot of time together. I drive Pop to his club twice a week, drop him off for his golf games. He runs his group twice a week, getting the biggest turnout in the club of anyone. Every Tuesday and Thursday. He keeps track of the tote board and money. Manually. Not so easy when there's upwards of 60 people in the group. No help necessary. "I want to do it myself."

Pop is very pragmatic. He has lived through many historical events. Has buried 1 son, his wife, siblings (has 1 brother surviving, just turned 94!), been in the military,and faced so many things I cannot imagine....but doesn't want to talk about the past. Instead, Pop likes to read newspapers, watch sports, the news, and look forward. He prefers to speak about current events, cooking, friendships, animals, family, and plans he's making. When you do something nice for Pop, he'll make you a shoo fly pie from scratch and give it to you. Pop knows I'm vegan, so when he wants to make me a pie, he'll ask me for my "special butter" and then make me my pie. I never had shoo fly pie before I met Pop.

When Pop was turning 100, he had a couple weeks that he became downright wistful. He wasn't as chatty either. I wondered what was going on. Finally, he confided he was thinking about his life, and his purpose in life. He said he had come to realize that he is a missionary. His mission is to spread the word of love. Once he was able to speak that, he went right back to his pragmatic and peaceful self.

Pop really is living his mission. Every day he goes outside to fill the bird baths. Then he'll sit in his chair and watch all the people go by the street. He's got a kind word and comment for everyone that passes "hey gorgeous" "keep on keepin' on honey" "looking good buddy!" Sometimes he'll do this for hours. Often the passers-by will trek up the drive to sit and talk with Pop. Its quiet on my street, and I can hear the laughing sometimes all the way down to my house. I know Pop is out holding court.

Pop has a golf cart he drives around his yard to help him with his yard work now. He drives it up and down the street too, visiting everyone and anyone. On the golf cart is a giant LOUD airhorn, placed courtesy of my better half. Pop loves that horn. One of his other daily rituals is to get on that cart and blast that horn. He says its so the neighborhood knows he's up and ok. I listen for that horn every morning. Sometimes he drives down here, pulls into the driveway and lays on that horn like there's no tomorrow. I'll run down the back steps with a plate of pancakes and a muffin as he's hollering "what's cooking honey?" He'll collect the pancakes and off he goes after collecting a kiss too.

Pop's got "it" figured out. He wakes every day literally with a song in his heart. Sometimes, he sings his conversations to you, just making up a tune to go with the words "hello honey, how was your day?" "Isn't today beautiful, I love you" all sung from the heart & soul of my 100 year old friend. Pop's songs are for everyone. He sings a lot, and shares them with everyone. I think if you climbed to the top of a mountain to meet a great guru, Pop should be the right one there. You'd ask "oh great one, what is the meaning of life?" and he'd reply "simple honey... love. And cake." Yup, he's got "it" figured out.

I'm making a cake for one of Pop's many 101st parties. He's placed his order.... "chocolate cake honey, with a side of kisses."

1 comment: