Recent_Comments

Saturday, August 10, 2019

VeganMoFo 2019 Day 9: SURPRISE, IT'S A CAKE!

Got me some real fine (vegan) pound cake
Doubtful VanHalen was singing about this cake, but heck maybe they were after all. I read that Sammy said the song was written about authenticity, what you see is what you get kind of thing. Well, here's a pound cake, plain and simple. It's vegan. It's also allergen friendly with no nuts, no soy, no wheat, no gluten and yes of course no eggs or dairy. What it also doesn't have is a pound of suffering. This cake hits the mark big time. Tonight when we pulled in the driveway the other happy vegan said "did you keep any of the pound cake?" Insert sad face here because I did not, he already had a slice earlier (as did I) and that was plenty, out the door the rest went earlier in the day.

This recipe was pulled from Learning to Bake Allergen Free by Collette Martin, yes the same book that the last 2 days worth of cakes came from. My cake looks a little undercooked in these photos in a few spots, that's just the photo, it's not undercooked by a long shot. I used sorghum, superfine rice and arrowroot for my flour/starch blend. It's a firm cake, and dense, exactly like conventional pound cake. I think had I used cornstarch it would have been even more firm, but I had a bag of arrowroot open which I want to use up (despite the ridiculous price of arrowroot, geez when did that price quadruple?) Other than that and using coconut milk instead of hemp milk as discussed in my previous post, zero ingredient changes. I baked the cake as directed for 30 minutes, and then reduced the temp by another 25 degrees and baked it for an additional 20 minutes and tented it. This was merely a precaution (lowering the heat and tenting). This time, however, the cake seemed to be cooking just fine not too fast as some others have, so I ended baking it for 10 minutes longer than called for since I had reduced the heat. I think it was unnecessary on my part to try and troubleshoot an issue as a precaution; this cake didn't need it. This recipe is a keeper, and now after 3 recipes from this book yes I feel good about recommending the book.

My next allergen free cake will have a recipe attached for you, I plan on publishing that tomorrow or the next day.

"Lemme get on, lemme get on, lemme get on some of that
Shake it up, bake it up nice, uh"

Thanks for the tip, Sammy.

No comments:

Post a Comment