Recent_Comments

Tuesday, August 6, 2019

VeganMoFo 2019 Day 6: 31 Cakes in 31 Days... Lemon Up!

Vegan Lemon Cake
w/lemon glaze

Lemon cake is very popular with many people. I love lemons and eat them sliced up. Some people find it annoying especially when I eat the rind (the other happy vegan gets so totally grossed out that I sometimes make extra effort to chase him around the house purposefully eating lemons). I love lemons so much I named one of my cats Lemon. I used to make lemon cake for Summer Solstice, but I don't recall baking for Litha since Irma. I did make a really delicious lemon cake for a training recently conducted out here for those of us who needed to obtain or renew our permits for the stranding and salvage network regarding sea turtles. SSTN is those of us in the State of Florida who are called upon to either document dead sea turtles, or rescue injured sea turtles. Sea turtles are threatened and/or endangered species, so we need to be trained and permitted by the appropriate agency. The person in charge of the marine turtle program was kind enough to come out to our place and train a nicely sized group of about 13 of us. Of course I made food, including this lemon cake (recipe below). This is a good recipe, and I can recommend it. Don't skimp on your lemon zest. Also noteworthy for me is that this is the first time I ever made a cake with olive oil, which I've wanted to try for years. This cake had an extra delicate crumb, I have no idea if that's usual for olive oil cakes or not. I had one piece cut that I set aside as a taste test. While still warm, the flavor was decent. When completely cool it was even better. When I added the glaze it of course was sweeter, but it was a good sweet because the glaze is lemon, not just a sugar glaze. And, the cake was at it's best (in my opinion) when the glaze was completely firmed up. That's a lot of taste testing for a little piece of cake, but as I said this was my first olive oil cake and I wanted to check differences.

Vegan Lemon Cake
(recipe from sofiavonporat.com)

2 cups flour
1t baking powder
1t baking soda
1/2 t sea salt
1/2 cup sugar
1t vanilla powder (use extract if that's what you have... have you seen the price of vanilla lately?!)
zest of a lemon (I zested 2, use organic when you zest if you are able)
1/2 cup olive oil (use the real deal, not fake)
1.5 T water
1 cup soy yogurt (I think any non-dairy will work well, even better if you can find a lemon one)
1/4 cup lemon juice (I used fresh, do so if you are able)
50g vegan butter melted (IDK why this one ingredient is in grams, but I weighed it)

Lemon Glaze
1 cup confectioner's sugar
1.5T lemon juice (again, fresh is best)
1T water

Preheat oven to 325 degrees. Prep a loaf pan, I used Vegelene.

Sift the flour with your baking powder, baking soda, vanilla powder (if using extract add it to liquids, not dry), salt and sugar. Whisk in zest.

This is where I differ on the recipe, I used a separate bowl to mix the wet ingredients, the main recipe calls for it to be dumped into the dry, do as you please....

In a separate bowl, whisk the water, olive oil, vegan yogurt, lemon juice and melted vegan butter. Combine all the ingredients with the dry and whisk to incorporate, do not over mix.

Pour the batter into your prepared pan, bake 40-45 minutes (toothpick test please). My cakes have been baking a lot faster lately, no clue why. At 30 minutes I turned the heat down to 300 degrees (I bake with convection) and put some foil over the top to bake the last 10 minutes.

When baked, remove from oven, set on wire rack 10 minutes to cool, carefully remove from pan, and cool completely on wire rack. Be careful so you don't crack your cake, mine was delicate!

Prepare your glaze when the cake is cool and pour over. I poured the glaze over the sliced cake as you see in the picture, not before slicing. Do as you please. Although you're baking in a loaf pan, this is in no way close to a bread. It's truly a beautiful cake texture and taste.

If you're still reading.... I ate 6 Tofurky deli slices while I was writing this, and broke up 3 cat fights. I just thought you should know. 

This was my boy Lemon.
On a day we went for a stroller ride.
He was among the most loyal cats I've ever known, always by my side.

xo




No comments:

Post a Comment