Recent_Comments

Monday, August 5, 2019

VeganMoFo 2019 Day 5: 31 Cakes in 31 Days - SAVORY!

For those not living in a climate so hot your hair melts, you likely have zucchini, tomatoes and basil coming out your ears by now. Consider yourself darn lucky, I so miss fresh summer vegetables. I wanted to make a cake including summer ingredients that many are growing, and for me where I'm from we were all about the zucchini, tomatoes and basil. Today's cake: savory, tomato, zucchini, basil cake w/scallions, I kid you not. 

From this...

to this....

To this...

To this...

to this...

Finally resulted in this!
I put a filter on this picture so you can see all the bright colored flecks.
This is a really pretty cake when sliced.

This looks like a bread, for today's purposes it's a cake especially since I'm baking other loaf style cakes this month for you. The recipe is below, and is riffing off one from namelymarly.com  I have made changes, the recipe as published was disappointing in my opinion. I made this twice, first exactly as published, second with my changes which are published below. This cake screamed for sugar when I taste tested the first version being that the namelymarly version had none. Sometimes we might forget that sugar is not only a sweetener, but it's a binder, preservative and a texturizer. I felt sugar was especially needed for texture, it was gummy without. With my changes in version two, it was much better. What I think this would be super to do with this cake is lightly toast a slice, spread some of Miyoko's artisan wheel cheese (flavor of choice but I'd be all over the sundried tomato garlic on this) and dive in. Another option would be to sprinkle with Violife and send it under a broiler for a minute or 2. Pizza bread!

If you choose to make this, don't freak about the scallions in there... you'll barely taste them, in fact you may want to add more to the recipe (I did on the second round). Surely it needs more basil as well (I did on the second round). I think omitting the tomatoes on top is important, they detract from the cake appearance after baking as they get all gnarly and gross looking. I should've, but didn't.

Here's the recipe, and see ya tomorrow!

Savory zucchini cake (inspired by namelymarly.com)
3 cups flour
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1T baking powder
1t baking soda
1t sea salt
1 medium zucchini
1 medium tomato (I did half fresh, half reconstituted sundried tomatoes for flavor... do it)
1/2 heaping packed cup fresh basil
1/2 cup scallions
1 cup soymilk
1T apple cider vinegar
3T veg oil
3 thin slices tomato (or diced, or omit)

Prep a loaf pan by spraying with veg spray (I used Vegelene)
Preheat your oven to 350 (325 for convection)

In a bowl sift the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix in sugar insure there's no clumps, set aside.

Cut the top off your zucchini, discard (I save in my freezer for broth), rough chop and place in food processor. Pulse a few seconds.

Rough chop the tomato/reconstituted sundried tomatoes, basil and scallions. Add to food processor. Pulse for a few seconds. Scrape the bowl down, pulse a few seconds again (don't over process, you want it fine but not pulverized or mushy. Add the soymilk, ACV and oil. Pulse again to combine (yup, make sure that top is on tight!)

Pour the contents from the food processor to the flour bowl, mix til just combined. Pour into your prepared pan, top with your sliced or diced tomatoes if using.

Bake up to 40(ish) minutes depending on your oven and your pan. Toothpick test for doneness.

Oh, I chose to publish this one today because the prompt is "savory," how lucky for me!

I heart vegans! xo






No comments:

Post a Comment