Recent_Comments

Tuesday, August 27, 2019

VeganMoFo 2019 Day 27: Fight for the Right... to ParrrrrrrrrrrTY!

You wake up late for school, man you don't wanna go
you ask your mom, please? but she still says no!
You missed two classes, and no homework
but your teacher preaches class like you're some kinda jerk!
You gotta fight, for your right to party.
Today is my sister's birthday. It's a safe bet she doesn't read this blog, even the other happy vegan doesn't read this blog, which is why I can get away with as much as I do, bwah ha ha. Anyway.... my sister lives far away, but it's her birthday and we're both Virgo so I baked a birthday cake today!

I've been wanting to bake a "white bakery flavor" cake, even though I wasn't sure even what that was anymore. I haven't had a conventional bakery cake in decades, I don't feel like I'm missing anything as this month has shown there's plenty of cake in vegan world and it's superior to conventional anyway. I chose a recipe from "Yup, It's Vegan" and ordered the accidentally vegan Wilton butter flavor a few weeks ago specifically for this cake, it's clear. I was supposed to order clear vanilla flavor to keep the cake pure white, but that's not really my jam (non fair trade vanilla) so I skipped it. The recipe link is at the bottom, I kept true to the recipe, except I cut it in half, and made 2 6" layers. I hoped half the recipe would be even less and I could get away with 2 4" layers, but it's a generous amount of batter. I stuck with 6.

As soon as I tasted the cake I remembered what "white bakery cake" is. No, it's definitely not vanilla, and it's surely not a yellow cake. It's a flavor all of it's own, and I'll stick with "white bakery cake" for the name too. This cake is very delicate and tender. My layers took 24 minutes to bake, which is a bit longer than most 6" cakes I've been baking. I chose a basic vanilla frosting to ice the cake, and used my non-parieles from Sweetopolita, I have a 5 pound bag of them. These little dots used to get a lot of use around here, not so much lately though. I wish I had baked this cake earlier in the day so there was natural light. The cake really is white! I'm sure my teeny bit of vanilla made it a bit off, but it's way whiter than any vanilla cake I've ever baked, super pretty. It's after 9pm as I write this, my kitchen is pretty dark.

As far as the recipe itself, there's a few things you should know. It's very runny when you pour it in the pans, almost watery. No worries you didn't make a mistake, it's the way it is. Also, this recipe specifically said do not use convection on this cake or it will bake "weird." I have a convection bakery oven, there simply is no way to turn the convection option off. I wondered what would be "weird" about it, and I discovered these tiny little creases in my baked cake I'm not sure if you can see it in the photo, I tried to hide it a bit, but they are definitely there. I suspect that is what is meant by "weird" about convection baking. Since this was a "no reason" cake these creases do not bother me, but I wouldn't be happy if this was a for purchase cake. I made 3 slices, and each one had weird creases.

I'll probably never make this cake again, despite how white the cake turned out. I'm a fan of chocolate, no apologies will be forthcoming. I'm going to wait til tomorrow when the other happy vegan road tests this cake. Among his favorite cake flavors is vanilla. I really need him to evaluate this one for me, I'm just not the right person to run with vanilla.

Recipe link: https://yupitsvegan.com/vegan-white-cake/

#27 dedicated to the birthday girl, Happy Birthday Sis! 

xo


1 comment: