Recent_Comments

Friday, August 23, 2019

VeganMoFo 2019 Day 23: Happy Birthday

Happy Birthday Randy

This is a cake I made for our friend Randy. Randy is someone who I would say is the closest to the other happy vegan down here, a true friend. He has been slogging through shit here with us since Irma, and this is someone who basically has not said no when he has been asked to help. It's not just us though, he volunteers for sea turtles, he volunteers for the coral restoration, he volunteers for the major Irma cleanups that are continually happening, he volunteers for the Key deer, and he just is a do-gooder when no one else is looking on things that I shall not speak of here. He is a good eggless egg; he and his wife are also pre-vegans that are now striving to be vegan. Without Randy, I cannot imagine what this world would be like, I cannot imagine what my community would be like, and I cannot imagine the other happy vegan's life without Randy there for him. He is trusted and loved. So, I found out it was his birthday and made this cake. Actually, this was probably the very first birthday cake I've made since Irma. This cake was the first time I WANTED to make any birthday cake since our lives were blown apart. I actually got happy when I was making it. This is a double layer chocolate fudge cake with chocolate filling, the sides are coated with chocolate crumbs, and I used a happy sprinkle mix from Sweetopolita as well as gold and silver stars (also Sweetopolita's, her vegan line of course). It was as I was finishing this little cake ambassador when I realized I was a bit happier, and I had been happier as I was rattling the pans, mixing the batter and decorating her. Cake made me happy again? How could I hold on to the feeling I wondered and it's around the time that I saw the announcement for 2019 Vegan Month of Food. I gave Randy his cake, and he smiled. He seemed genuinely happy. So, that's TWO people happy over cake. The power had just doubled.

As I get older and go through more and more challenges, I see where my bread is Earth Balanced and I know where energies need to go with people. There are people that for the rest of my life I will move mountains to help any time that call comes from them.  There has been more cake lately than I ever expected would be forthcoming from my kitchen after Irma when I swore off baking. I still cannot do much for people, but now at least what I am able to do, I do without question. And for someone like Randy, making a birthday cake is one of those things that I could do. Without Randy in our life here, the quality of our lives would be significantly diminished. And, with that, a cake is the least I could do (but still some days still all I can manage).

This quote has been altered to reflect how I see Randy and the other happy vegan's friendship: "You and I are more than friends, we're like a really small gang." Now, they're a really small gang with cake.

#23 over and out.

xo




No comments:

Post a Comment