Recent_Comments

Thursday, August 22, 2019

VeganMoFo 2019 Day 22: Cake! (of the pan variety!)

Leaning tower of (pan)cakes


I think there's a physics lesson in there somewhere

Cake #22 of 31 in 31! I took a peek at the "prompt" for today... it's "make something using seasonal ingredients where you are." Done and done.

A couple weeks ago, Patrick from the Grimal Grove surprised me with an incredibly wonderful gift, a case of GG mangoes and an entire stalk of GG bananas. I think they're the "ice cream" variety, they are smooth, creamy and seem to have less seeds than what we're used to seeing the market. Loading the bananas in the car was a sight... a HUGE stalk and I mean HUGE barely fitting in the hatchback of my Irma-rusted vehicle. So yes, bananas are in season here, as is dragonfruit. I do not have any fresh dragonfruit at the moment, but as you know from Unicorn Cake day, I do have pitaya powder. 

I used this recipe from "Nora Cooks" blog: https://www.noracooks.com/vegan-banana-pancakes/ for the pancakes. I used fresh bananas from the Grimal Grove lifetime supply, and added about a tablespoon of pitaya powder (I only made half the recipe, and didn't really need that much pitaya, probably could've used half that amount). I also added a tiny amount of vinegar because I wasn't sure how the color would hold/develop without an acid, and by the way since I'm tropical I added a pinch of cardamom and allspice. 

I know, I know, there's strawberries on there. Not in season here. Probably ARE in season many places where people are reading this. Also, our strawberry season is super early, around January/February. Our "non-tropical" food growing season runs from roughly November(ish) to March(ish). Also, Miyoko's non-whipping cream makes an appearance as you see. Suffice to say tropical heat+hot pancakes=melting cream. But.... oh so tasty, the other happy vegan says "mmmmm."

See what I've been doing? I'm giving you lots of leads on reliable delicious recipes from others. I am doing this because I am aware the majority of people who read my blog are not vegan. With all these great links and recipes from me, other blogs, and the other people participating in VeganMoFo, I have effectively removed any arguments against being vegan. You're welcome!

#22 down the hatch!
xo




No comments:

Post a Comment