Recent_Comments

Sunday, August 11, 2019

VeganMoFo 2019 Day 11: Golden Girls Cheesecake

I am Sophia.
It's true. I took the test.
Today I'm humming along with cake #11 of 31 cakes in 31 days. Not only did I hit my own prompt, but I hit the prompt for the event today "cook for your favorite TV character." Cheesecake for The Golden Girls, ALL of the Golden Girls. The series wasn't funny in the 80s, I was way too busy with Miami Vice, however in 2019 The Golden Girls are ridiculously hilarious.

I took a quiz today to see which Golden Girl I am. I already knew. I am Sophia. She's my favorite, but she never eats the cheesecake, she just cracks on the others for eating it. I read trivia that says The Golden Girls ate over 100 cheesecakes on the series while it was on. I thought it would be more, but it does work out to about 14 cheesecakes a season which is a lot of cheesecake.

I used the New York Cheesecake recipe from The Sticky Fingers Cookbook. I wanted to do The Gentle Chef's version, but I didn't have all the ingredients, maybe next time. I have barely cracked the binder on the Sticky Fingers book, yet I've had this since it was published. Just one of those books that I never had time for. 31 in 31 forced my hand. I didn't have time to make my own graham crackers, I used accidentally vegan vanilla teddy shape cookies from Food for Thought. This resulted in a more firm, but still very tasty, crust. Also, this cake is gluten free if you prepare it with a gluten free crust.

For anyone reading, I have never in my life had a non-vegan plain cheesecake. In my pre-vegan days, one time, and one time only, I had a piece of chocolate cheesecake. So I turned to the other happy vegan for a review since I had nothing to compare it to. His review? "Tastes like any other cheesecake, it's really good, plus it's vegan so it's even better."

I was reminded today that vegans are one of the last (if not THE last) group who apparently remain social acceptable to bully, especially on line. Using one of Sophia's great quotes I say in response "wake up and smell the coffee, you fossil." 

Day 11 in the bag.

xo


No comments:

Post a Comment