Recent_Comments

Thursday, April 18, 2019

Hurricane Irma Stories: Eye (of the Tigress)

Those of us who sought refuge in "Noah's Ark" (more commonly known as Sugarloaf School) were a little bit antsy by now. We'd been in the shelter for about a day. No generators (Emergency Management had cannibalized them as backups for their own purposes), so of course there was no running water, electric, cooling, sanitation. The powers that be do not call these places of refuge "shelters" because they are not rated to catastrophic storm codes (at least that's my understanding of things), instead these are referred to as refuges of last resort. Overall, it was a calm group of people, almost everyone had multiple animals being cared for. Very few conflicts. I had a cooler of crappy food and drinks which I threw together before leaving because really we were so prepared with months of food and fuel stocks at home, I just brought some ridiculous items (chick pea wraps anyone?) We were rationing use of any devices which consumed power, including radios. Our local radio station, US1 Radio, incredibly stayed on the air pretty much through the entire storm and aftermath. They won an award for their storm broadcasting, hard earned for sure. So, there we all were in the Ark knowing full well the Eye was due. At first, I didn't realize the Eye was going to go directly over us, but I pretty much figured that out quick enough when the rain and wind abated. We piled outside, pretty much all of us. Dogs got walked, people were smoking and sharing cigarettes (still kinda big down here, not for me though), taking short walks, looking around. I was no different, I went outside to walk, look and breathe. Trees were down all over the place and flood waters were copious. The other happy vegan went over to check on his truck (a-ok at that point) while I went in a different direction, towards the street.

The school is the first building you come to off the highway when you turn right going South (really going West, but let's not get into that). If you go a very wee bit further down, there's a church across the street. If you go even further down the street there's a neighborhood where people live ordinary lives. Since I was rationing my use of the phone for even photos (cell service was down at that point, wouldn't be restored for quite some time moving forward, thus calls were not even an option), I did not take many pictures. But I did take these:

Sugarloaf Baptist Church, Crane Boulevard, Sugarloaf Key
Eye of Hurricane Irma passing directly over
Photo Credit: Me!

Sugarloaf Baptist Church, Crane Boulevard, Sugarloaf Key
Eye of Hurricane Irma passing directly over
Photo Credit: Me!


It's a little odd for me to think that in the middle of an historical storm such as Irma, these were the only photos I took. Looking back of course if I knew then what I know now, I would've stocked up on multiple batteries and memory cards for my real camera, along with special waterproof casing.  It never even crossed my mind. I don't think I've ever shared these pictures before. In fact, most of you who know and follow me do know that I've shared so very few photos. It takes a lot out of me to look at these pictures.

While I was alone outside walking, the voices in my head were sending little bits of information I was working hard to push away. Things like: the dirty side of the storm is worse; if this is where we are, and the eye is HERE, the dirty side might hit too close for comfort to my then established life; what about the wildlife, where are they now, are they ok? Little bits like that. As I tamped down the scary voices, rain began to slowly ramp up. At first I didn't mind, I was happy to be outside and breathe the fresh air. Unfortunately my relief didn't last long enough as the winds began to whip up and the rain was sheeting again. I stayed outside as long as I reasonably could, maybe a half hour, 45 minutes? Not really sure, as time was moving in a way I'd never experienced before.

I don't remember specifically what I did once I got back in the building. Most likely I chatted with others, checked on the animals and visited with other animals. I know I spent a lot of time looking outside the Ark windows, that I do remember. I have no idea who built that structure but it's a tank. But for a few whomps of gusts here and there through the entire time, it was quiet, strong and solid. So solid that I was able to keep tamping down the voices "this is bad, this is bad, this is bad." Eventually, other voices in my head took hold over those scary ones.... these other voices said "what a relief, the storm is half over, going home soon!" I so needed to believe the whispers of those other voices in my head. I suppose in the moment those wicked denials provided me comfort, but tragically the comfort was short lived.

It's not uncommonly said "when one thing ends, another begins," but I've never heard it said "when one thing begins, another ends." I did not know it then, but the Tigresses Eye was the beginning, the life I had built up to then was the end.


No comments:

Post a Comment