Recent_Comments

Thursday, October 12, 2017

Vegan MoFo Day 12: Why Stay

Not a morsel of food today. I was doing fairly well through the morning then without warning a headache flattened me. I tried to rest but couldn't find the off switch for the brain. Been thinking and thinking about so much. One question so many of us wrestle with in any relationship when the going gets tough is "Why Stay?" Anyone living here among us has a relationship with the Keys. This is not like most other places. It's raw and at times angry. Sometimes it's bliss and literal rainbows and sunshine. But we all can't be faulted for wanting to bail when the going gets this tough, can we?

I admit when I first saw things post storm my reaction was nope, no way, no how, I'm outta here... done. I said it to the other happy vegan. "But where?" Was his response. I said Oregon and a camper sounds good. We had a plan anyway. Before this all happened. Had our little house by the sea waiting for a gentle renovation after this place was finally in the loving arms of the next good and deserving stewards but first thing we wanted to do was rent a camper, pile all the animals in and drive for a month or two. Princess wanted Oregon, once we explained what Oregon is. We told her many stories about the trip. Then she died. And Irma came. So I decided that's it I actually can break so I was broken. Every day was pain every day a struggle. Slowly "it" began...after about the first 2 weeks I realized maybe things might actually get better... so many resources were deployed here and so many individuals began helping us with relief, concern, genuine affection. About that time I took my first true walk on the beach. Oh no... do not suck me back in... more days passed and the sky enveloped us with crazy colors every night along with so many rainbows during the day. No no please let me go... but everyday brings something fresh (ironic under the circumstances where things seem so far from fresh), nature splashes the sky with stars, a new feral shows up at the store where the others used to be (of which only 1 remains) and now this tonight. As I sit here alone doing laundry at a friend's place pecking out letters on the tiniest phone known to humankind the walls rattle with thunder, the room explodes with lightning:





Keys life is not for everyone, I get that. But so far she won't let me go without a fight. 🌴❤️

1 comment:

  1. I don't have any words to say. This made me tear up. You are such a good writer and your videos are amazing <3

    ReplyDelete