Recent_Comments

Saturday, September 14, 2013

VeganMoFo Day 14: Cerveza and tacos!

We played like tourists for a couple days, did you miss me? Fear not, MoFo was never far from my heart (or my stomach).

One of my favorite types of food (besides Italian), is Mexican. This presents a bit of a problem in our household, as the other happy vegan is exceptionally anti-Mexican food. I don't really understand this, as he likes all the components of Mexican food, but pile them all together, and he's unhappy. As a concession, I also do not cook Mexican food at home (very much). I made kale tacos a while ago, he LOVED them. Then again, what's not to love.

This recent trip of reckless abandon was basically a birthday celebration. Which in my world translates to me being the "queen" and I get "anything I want," (thankfully I am, in my opinion at least, relatively low maintenance).

I wanted Mexican food, and he couldn't say no!

We headed over to Amigos on Duval Street. Never been in, but so wanted to try since they opened up because they have "come out" as vegan friendly (and also gluten free friendly). This IS a big deal.

It was the middle of the day, the sun was beating down on us weary travelers (teehee). We ambled over to Amigos Tortilla Bar. You can sit inside, or at a relatively long open air wooden counter facing the street. We're both pretty much about "people watching" and completely agreed on "counter." This was also an extra plus because Amigos is DIRECTLY across from Capt. Tony's (which also means its REALLY CLOSE to Sloppy Joe's).  Oooo, this was gonna be fun!

I picked up the menu, and within moments, a very friendly waitress came by and took our drink order. I went for cerveza (when in Rome...) and he went for lemonade. He was crabby over the menu, and said he couldn't figure it out (this from a man who has designed and built multiple houses and other buildings) and he would "leave it up to me." I tried to explain things to him (really? I have to explain "fillings" for tacos and burritos?) but he said he'd just have whatever I had. By the way, if you're not sure if your beer is vegan, you can check at the Barnivore web site, woot woot!

Within a flash, our waitress was back with our drinks, and I ordered. Amigos IS vegan friendly, and the menu is nicely varied and clearly marked what is gluten free and vegan. I ordered 2 tacos with vegan filling, and a side of rice and beans. Notably, their refried beans are also vegan, which is quite unusual based upon my experiences with Mexican food. As much as I love refried beans, I'm a freak for black beans and rice, so I didn't deviate. He then miraculously piped up and requested, on his own, an order of curly fries. I guess he figured something out after all...

My cerveza was ice cold, and it was perfect. While we waited, I looked around a little bit. In front of us was a rack of hot sauces from mild to scorching (they have ghost pepper hot sauce, Yowza!) and little teeny tiles set into the bar with little Day of the Dead celebrating skeletons!

Our food came pretty fast. The tacos are square. They come wrapped in foil, and were filled with roasted vegetables along with a side of roasted corn salsa. The fries he ordered were a gigantic basket, and my rice and beans would have been enough on their own. I opened up my little square tacos to see what was inside (onions, squash, cabbage, carrots I think, and I forget what else) and then tossed in some of my beans and rice with salsa. I ordered another ice cold cerveza, and we sat eating our vegan Mexican tacos. They were really good! I was really happy!

Amigos is the kind of place that if I lived within walking distance, I'd undoubtedly be there several times a week for my taco fix. The prices were freakishly low ($2.99 for a taco?!!!!), the service was excellent (I wish I could remember our server's name, she was so friendly!), and the beer was ice cold. We sat and watched all the people come and go from Sloppy Joe's and Captain Tony's which made for some exceptionally colorful commentary between the two of us. Even the other happy vegan admitted he really liked the food and "wouldn't mind" going back.

Amigos gets another thumbs up for serving Mexican style sodas. Although the other happy vegan didn't realize at first what that meant, I sure knew.... NO HIGH FRUCTOSE CORN SYRUP in the soda! They have Mexican Coke on the menu! I'm not saying this is health food, but it's far less offensive to me, whether I drink it or not, than the American version which I believe is poison.

Here's a few photos. I should've snapped a shot of the exterior from the street view, but I didn't think of it when we arrived. By the time we were leaving, my cervezas were kicking in (we were on vacation and walking.... I make no apologies for my beer and vegan taco induced haze!)

Amigos!
They say they're home of the square taco...
I say whee for vegan too!
See.... veggie is CLEARLY noted as vegan, as is the side salsa!
Mexican Coke!
My little square tacos came all wrapped in a foil blankie...

I was horrified when I first saw the rice.... I swore I saw chorizo!
Then I specifically remembered our stellar server telling me earlier
black beans & rice, as well as their refried beans are VEGAN.
What could this mystery be in my rice.....?
It was roasted veggies!
Hooray! Little coins of sweet potato were like pirate treasure being uncovered!
Day of the Dead tiles line the counter..... LOVE!
Admittedly this is an awful picture.... sorry.
But, this is what was inside my little square taco when I opened him up.
May not LOOK real pretty, but it sure was TASTY!
The other happy vegan ate this entire basket of curly fries on his own.
I didn't not abscond with even a single fry (always remember.... food wars between us)

We had a great lunch at Amigos and a heck of a good time watching the people go by. I cannot wait for the next visit we make to Amigos, we'll definitely be back! Muchas Gracias Amigos!

No comments:

Post a Comment