Recent_Comments

Monday, May 27, 2013

Welcome Back, Kotter

I have been most neglectful of this blog. I have no reasonable excuse. Suffice to say, I've been very busy with work, and am reconfiguring a little bit of what I do, and when. Now, you might think that's awful to say, but you will completely forgive me when I do the PS: to the reasoning ... Peri. He's spending much time with us, and I simply am compelled to spend as much time as possible with him. He is doing marvelous, just marvelous!

I'll do a really quick rundown for you, and add that I do plan on being a better blogger in the days ahead.

Working from newest, to oldest, things have rolled like this...

Here, we have chosen some new appliances for this happy vegan. Things to make my life (hopefully) much easier in the kitchen. And, if we don't stay here, it will make things that much easier for the next happy vegan who comes into the kitchen. I've chosen a professional baker's oven. It's gorgeous. I confessed to you long ago that I got super excited when I saw the slop sink nozzle of my dreams, you can only imagine what went on when my new oven was picked out. I have worked up numerous new recipes over the last couple of months, some epic fails (what else is new...) and some really great additions (Matcha Green Tea Biscotti with chia and almonds anyone?) to the product line. I'm getting a little burned out in the kitchen, and am optimistic that the new appliances will help streamline production and organization.

Peri is an everyday love affair. He is really back to his old self, but of course the big missing part of his life is that he no longer is patrolling territory outdoors. He does get regular outside time on a tether, and he's doing well enough now that upon request from guests, we will let him onto our screened veranda for visits. He relishes that time, although often enough he will race to the back screen door, plunk himself down and howl to get out. He has taken to sleeping on my head (oh my goodness, I had a cat named Amethyst that used to be my "bed hat" and since she's gone no one has done that. Over the last week, Peri has been channeling Amethyst). My sleep is beyond poor lately. Peri is not light-footed at night, and when he arrives onto my pillow, it's quite the production on his part--without fail interrupting any sleep I may have been catching, and ruining me for at least another 2 hours. We are so happy that Peri is happy, stable (he's packing on the pounds in a good way!) and able to spend time with us here at Deer Run. His people parents are very sweet that way; I absolutely am crestfallen whenever he's not around.

I got out on the water yesterday for the first time in longer than I can remember. I put up a photo album on our Facebook page, please go visit the photos. It was so beautiful yesterday. We came upon roseate spoonbills on the flats, always such an unexpected treat.

Our issues with the County are not resolved. There are indications that they are willing to make the concessions we have indicated we expect at this point, however until I have what I want in hand then nothing is resolved. And, for that reason I feel like I remain in a mini-limbo. I have finalized many issues for other options, and you all should know that no matter what happens, we are committed to being activists and good stewards local.

Speaking of activism... we did participate in the March Against Monsanto this past weekend; did you? We joined in the March up in Marathon. There was a really good turnout, and I met some really awesome new people. We marched from the Community Park to the 7 Mile Bridge in sweltering heat (but don't worry, we're hearty folks and heat is nothing compared to the risks associated with not protesting...)  I am not looking to take away your Fritos or Doritos. You may have them should you desire. I am, however, all about labeling foods that are genetically modified. Presently, there are much stricter labeling requirements on ME for the products I sell as opposed to the ingredients offered to me (I buy only organic because I cannot trust that GM foods are labeled as such. Currently labeling of GM foods are voluntary only, and never in my life have I seen ANY product or ingredients with a GM label... have YOU?)

We have fawns in our herd now. When a fawn appears, everything stops in my house. I drop whatever I'm doing and rush out with my camera. I have no regrets about that.

Another thing I've been devoting much more time to is the organization Save-A-Turtle of the Florida Keys. The other happy vegan has recently become Acting President. There's been a lot of behind the scenes work we're doing to get things organized the way we want, and just work in general associated with that position. I'm doing my best to support his efforts, I type things, do computer-y stuff (please check out the SAT Facebook page!) and in general do the best I can for whatever needs to be done. Although we don't yet have any turtle nests on our beach, there are indeed several nests through the Keys now. No hatches yet.... the hatchlings will arrive in about 5 weeks give or take. Believe me, you'll know!  So, last Monday the 2 of us headed down to Key West to be guests on the "Key West This Week" podcast talking all about Save-A-Turtle and turtles in the Keys. It was an awful rainstorm on the way home, but afterwards we chased the biggest rainbow I've seen in years all the way home (you saw it if you're on our Facebook page).

I think I'll end this little ditty about here. I will put up some photos for you on the next post, just to catch you up.  Thanks for your patience with me. Paradise is a great place to live and work, but finding that perfect balance will probably always be challenging for me. I won't fail you, I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment