Recent_Comments

Friday, January 4, 2013

Resolutions, Smesolutions

How many times do I have to hear or read the nonsense of "New Year, New You" before I go mad I wonder.  We're in the fresh New Year and so many of us feel compelled to make resolutions, to become better people.  As if flipping the page on a calendar can erase our bad habits, and magically make us instill better habits.

I used to buy into the rhetoric, to a certain degree. I'd make a resolution or two, fall off that wagon in a few days, and then feel terrible about myself. I don't go that route anymore. A while ago, I committed to simply doing the best I can do in any given moment, and live with what may come. This fully took hold when I committed to a vegan lifestyle, and honestly I've never looked back, this has been a good way for me to live. I do, however, find myself having to commit and re-commit to higher fitness goals constantly. Sometimes I slip up and feel like it's starting over, but the reality is that fitness has also become a lifestyle for me for decades. I used to teach and be a personal trainer, those days were great as far as being committed to working out. There was no falling off the wagon for me as long as I was a mentor of sorts for others. That's not my thing anymore, and as I'm getting older, it's a lot harder to achieve certain goals and to make progress. Running has been an issue for me off and on for a couple years now, some days I'm so on my game I think I could run a marathon no problem, other days by mile 2 I'm spent. After I went away for a couple weeks end of September/beginning of October, my running never got back to where I think it should be. So, now I have re-committed and upped the ante. And, this week also marked the first boot camp classes of 2013 as well. I never really slack on boot camp, but the way the holidays fell this year, a few classes were cancelled and missed. I would run (mostly) on missed class days, but it's just not the same.

I coughed myself awake last night, and as I did I realized I had pain all through my body. With every cough, my ribs felt like someone was stabbing from the inside out. As I realized this was only the beginning from class after-effects, I looked at the clock thinking heck it's time to get up anyway, but no, it was barely 1am. I took full assessment of my pains, and realized they were in my quads, my low back, my shoulders and of course my ribs. And, with that I sneezed and practically saw stars it hurt so much. It was enough to get me out of bed, stumbling into the kitchen for some anti-inflammatories. I never reach for medication unless its headache related, but this was far too much for me at this point.

Of course the moment I stumbled back into bed, it was an all-around cat party on me.

I have been working out off and on since I was 17 years old (so.... that makes a total of 10 years I'd say---what you fail to see the humor in that statement?) I have to wonder when, after so many decades of working out, oh when will that day come that I do not feel like I've been run over by a truck. Today is not that day.  Nope. But, I've got that issue of recommitting to running, and today is a 4 mile day for me. It's 81 degrees right now and it's time to walk the walk so to speak. I only hope there's no sneezing involved, or else I may need an ambulance.


No comments:

Post a Comment