Recent_Comments

Sunday, December 30, 2012

Shake It Out

Shake it out.

Lather, rinse repeat those words.  Definitely.

It has been a tough several weeks, boy has it ever. The news rapid fires the tragedies from all around, and they are vast.  I've been watching less news, and most likely will have to watch even less in order to "shake it out."

Today dawned clear and crisp.  A cold front blew through last night, and I don't think temps made it above 70 today; this on the heels of some seemingly unusually warm December weather. Quite a difference from yesterday.  I had a lot of work inside to get through, but at some point I decided to put everything aside and run. My running has barely been hitting the three times a week point since I got home from the cold zone.  This is unacceptable.  I combed through my closet looking for the only pair of long running pants I own, but never found them. As a consolation prize for my definitely going to be cold legs, I put on 2 running tops, and hit the road. I didn't make it too far at first because I had to stop and see Pop.  Pop was away for a family visit, not quite as far north as we go, but far enough where it does snow.  He said it was cold, but not snowy; only rain. He loved being with the extended family, but beamed about being back home.  Pop is just like me in that he doesn't like the cold, and as soon as the temperatures dip below mid-70s, he feels a chill and puts on a jacket.  He questioned my sanity for deciding to run in the "very nippy weather," but also came to the conclusion that I probably just should run a little faster to solve all the weather ills. After the visit, I went back and started to run in earnest.

Winds were blowing North, off the bight.  This blows against me on the street until my turnaround, and also means the iPod has to be turned up a little more to silence the whistling winds. I decided to run faster, run further, run harder.

I am making a conscious effort to "shake it out."  I live in Paradise. Key deer, the ocean, palm trees. Beautiful birds dot the sky, and today sail boats were abundant far out in the ocean.... these winds today made for great sailing weather I would suspect.  Peri patrolled his territories all day, and I could hear his little bell off in the distance. This offers me comfort as well.

I came inside, did some chores and then began to bake.  Nothing in particular, nothing special. Just needed and wanted to see some dough in the mixer, and fill the house with comforting smells. Tomorrow is another day; I'll cook, I'll bake, and I'll run.

Lather, rinse, repeat.

Shaking it out.



No comments:

Post a Comment