Recent_Comments

Sunday, December 16, 2012

More favorites!

If you know me even ever so slightly, you probably know I'm not much for holidays of any type.  Running a bed and breakfast, my biggest holiday seems to be "Groundhog Day" the movie version (come on, you know what I mean!)  In December, I observe the Winter Solstice, which is the biggest holiday observation for me except for Summer Solstice (thanks Dad!)  But once I allowed myself the freedom to move away from conventional ideals, including holidays, I also found that I enjoy some of the conventional elements more than in the past.  This includes holiday lights.  I liked them before, but somehow always found a depressive element to them. I no longer feel that way. I love holiday lights and have turned into one of "those people" who will drive around to see them.  Granted, my idea of driving around to see them is via boat, but it's still driving around.

I was on my way over the 7 Mile Bridge a couple weeks ago in the middle of an 80 degree sunny day and I saw a pretty big boat with a pretty big fly bridge in between the new and the old bridges.  At first, my reaction was "fools, they're going to get stuck."  Then I saw all the Santa hats on the crew and captain, saw piles of decorations, and then saw a few margarita glasses in hand.  Under cover of blinding sunshine the elves were in action to decorate the big scraggly pine tree that grows magically out of the old 7 Mile Bridge.  There's a sketchy roll out ladder that someone hung off the bridge, and then Evil Knievel Keys-style scampers up the ladder at some point every December and adorns the trapped tree with lights. This year the display is larger than ever. More lights, more driving, more margaritas.

At Deer Run, we decorate for the holiday.  The other happy vegan observes, while I do not.  I make my Yule Log, play with my rocks & crystals, have Mark the Weaver make some palm wreaths for doors and windows, and roll out the big guns of baking in the kitchen.  Typically I'm in the kitchen an extra 6 hours daily this time of year with baking obligations.  I don't mind until the inevitable moment when my wrists fail and the ice packs come out.  Even then, it's still not all awful, and I'm happy to be looking at the ocean and palm trees.

The other happy vegan has one absolutely mandatory chore for the holidays.  Put up the Deer Run holiday light display.  He hauls out the ladder and extension cords, and then watches for low tide.  Any guest who's had the delight of visiting Deer Run in December or early January knows what this means..... yup, the annual decorating of the ocean  mangrove.  Basic supplies include the ladder I mentioned, the waterproof extension cord and (eco) lights, and plenty of adult beverages.  This year was no different, so without further delay, I present our annual decorating in action:

No comments:

Post a Comment