Recent_Comments

Thursday, July 19, 2012

Diana Nyad!

I had to go to Key West yesterday.  I got rolling relatively early all things considered with chores here, and was headed down enjoying the scenery.  No particular schedule, sure I had places to go, but no I didn't have a specific time to be here or there.  Once I got into Key West I hunkered down and paid close attention because there's construction going on, which annoying, but reminds me of "home." Where I come from, there's 2 seasons: winter and construction.

Anyway, I got into town, and headed right to the Sugar Apple.  After I stopped at the register for something, I headed back to the juice bar. Did you know... Sugar Apple is the ONLY place in Key West with an entirely VEGAN kitchen (well, ok, I'm sure there's vegans who live in Key West who have vegan kitchens, but Sugar Apple is the only commercial place with a vegan kitchen). I followed the amazing smells into the juice bar and said hello to the girls.  Everyone at Sugar Apple is so nice.  I like going there, I really do. I didn't bother to read the menu, or the specials board; I was on a mission for a tempeh reuben. I asked "do you have the tempeh reuben available today?" which probably had more than a fleck of wistfulness in my tone.  Guess what... YES THEY DID!  I ordered my most favorite thing, a tempeh reuben to go.  It was for after boot camp last night, so we had a little chat (sauce on the side, or on the sandwich?  On their recommendation I went for the sauce on the sandwich... good advice ladies, it was PERFECT last night too!)  So, anyway, what happens when you order at Sugar Apple is they give you a ticket that you take back to the register in the store and pay, while they prepare your food. They gave me my ticket, and I went back into the store. I was kind of hanging around the register chatting while one of the guys was looking something up for me.  Not being on a schedule or anything I wasn't in a rush.  I sensed that someone was behind me, so I stepped aside without looking at the person and said "you go ahead, I'm waiting for something and don't want to make you wait." She said "thanks" but I still didn't look at the person or make eye contact.   With that, the sweetie guy behind the counter says to the person behind me "this is Jen" to introduce the 2 of us.... and I really didn't look at the person... yet.  Then, sweetie behind the counter says "Jen do you know who this is....?" and I finally looked.  Before I completed my turn, I instinctively said "no."  But, before anyone could answer, I completed my turn, and my jaw dropped.  It was DIANA NYAD!  I said "holy crap, you're Diana Nyad!" Wow wow wow!  I was starstruck, I really was.

I am a fan of Diana.  I was barely in high school when she made her first attempt to cross the open water from Cuba to Key West.  I remember it very well, and even back then I remember thinking she was a machine.

I've never been an athletic type, but always wanted to be.  I have no coordination, little endurance, even less speed, and those are my best athletic qualities. In grade school, I was the runt who was always picked last for a team, the one everyone audibly groaned about when they got stuck with me. People who have never endured moments like that would say something like those moments build character. However, if you've endured that smack talk, character be damned.... its just abject humiliation. My athletic inadequacies have persisted my entire life, and I still struggle constantly not to compare myself to anyone, anywhere. I cannot swim a stroke, I cannot jump with 2 feet together despite literally hours attempting to do this to this day during runs and at stairs. My meager athletic accomplishments (if you can call them that) take so much out of me, so much work and practice, that I simply cannot fathom what it takes to be good... or what it feels like to be good.  So, when I hear about people like Diana Nyad, I'm really in awe. I'm almost at a loss to describe my feelings about true athletes. They are inspirations, role models, and puzzles to me. Puzzles because I don't understand the drive that comes from inside for athletes to test their bodies the way they do. Diana Nyad certainly falls into this category, but she's also so much more.  She is breaking down barriers, testing limits beyond anything known. She has the drive, focus and determination that are necessary. Plus she has a magic ability to tune out the negative, and dial in the positive. Even better, she's a genuine nice person; she's smart, she's funny, and she's real.

I watched a program about her last endurance swim effort from Cuba to Key West hosted by Dr. Sanjay Gupta (the Human Factor on CNN, it's a series) many months ago. I was riveted, I actually watched the whole program 3 times.  From the miracle of modern technology, we the public got to see parts of her effort that were beyond anything I ever imagined.  Her will to succeed is indescribable.  It's something you have to witness to understand, at least I had to see it on film to even scratch the surface of her determination.

Well, I met her.  I met her in person.  I gushed, and acted like an idiot. I asked a few questions, we talked for a moment. I did my best to hold myself together and not go into stalker mode.  She paid for her food, and went back to the juice bar to retrieve it.  After she stepped away, I practically collapsed. I didn't have a camera with me, but when sweetie behind the counter asked if he'd like me to use his camera and take a picture of us together, I actually declined.  I said I wasn't sure if she'd mind, and she probably just wants to get her lunch and be in peace. But, after she departed, I did end up basically running around the store saying "that was Diana Nyad!" "OMG, Diana Nyad was just here!" "Diana Nyad, Diana Nyad, Diana Nyad... she's amazing!!!!"  Yes, a true idiot in the house.  At least I didn't go into stalker mode and ask the kitchen what she ordered for lunch, which occurred to me.  Whatever she ordered, they could rename it the "Diana Nyad special."  I'm going to imagine it was a tempeh reuben. Good amount of protein, whole grains, plenty of greens (yes, comes with a mega side salad).  So, in my demented mind, Diana Nyad and I practically had lunch together.  Don't mention that part, she might not be as forthcoming to me if we meet again.

Diana Nyad is a true athlete.  There is a difference in my definition of a true athlete and the athletes that are splashed over the television and such.  Many of those splashy people have qualities I do not admire.  They become abusers of people and animals (Michael Vick anyone?) They take their abilities for granted and do not nurture themselves or others.  They waste time and money on excess at every turn.  They cause pain, and at times torture and death (Michael Vick anyone?)  I do not admire those people, not at all.  Rather, I turn to those who are more positive people. A true athlete doesn't necessarily have to be a professional for me to admire them.  It's what's inside that makes a true athlete.  Guts.  Heart.  Passion. The spirit of "I will do this, no matter what it takes."  Oh my gosh, what true athletes can do is basically superhuman.  Think Blade Runner. Yeah, I'm a fan of Oscar too, and will be looking for him at the Olympics.

I look to true athletes as role models in my little world.  I do this for many reasons, some listed above, some very personal.  But, when I admire someone, it's earned.  This beautiful, strong, driven, intelligent, wonderful woman named Diana Nyad is a true athlete and an excellent role model.  She is who we should teach our children to admire, she has qualities it takes to succeed in this harsh world.  She has what it takes.  She is not squandering her time and her talents, not taking them for granted.  She is not abusing her body with alcohol or drugs. She is not involved in illegal activities, going to prison, and coming back to the sports scene having money thrown at her.  No, she is quietly living her life, doing her training, setting goals, keeping her focus, and nurturing her body, mind and spirit.  She is amazing, amazing.

I cannot believe I met Diana Nyad.  I still cannot stop thinking about it.  I had the presence of mind to ask when her next attempt is, because we've been waiting.  She told me "very soon."  She's simply waiting for more favorable winds and currents.

When Diana makes her next attempt, I'm going to be following on line and in the media. I'll probably light a candle for her, and I will do my best to focus energy in the universe to her.  She deserves this accomplishment. She's worked harder than anything I can ever imagine.  She has the ability to do this, I  know she can do it. I truly look forward to the moment I can see her photo plastered across with a smile from ear to ear.  The feeling she will have at that moment will be a highlight for her, and it will represent so much to so many.  Diana Nyad is a great example of "anything is possible."

I hope you enjoyed your (vegan!) lunch yesterday Diana. It was a privilege to have met you!



No comments:

Post a Comment