Recent_Comments

Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Time Marches On, Rain or Shine

It rained for 5 days straight down here, almost unheard of for April which tends to be one of the driest months, if not THE driest month traditionally.  Not just a little rain, but continual windswept downpours which had little mercy on any of us whether we live here or were visiting here. My runs continued for the most part, dashing through the drops.  Life goes on, whether there's rain or not. One of the really good things that came from this rain is fresh water for the wildlife.  Lots of little birds and the Key deer seem to be frolicking in the aftermath of the rain.

Since my last post, not much has happened, so don't feel you've missed too much. We had a giant rainbow this morning which seemed to herald the end of the rain and welcomed back the sunshine that I longed for.

So, we're drying out. During the rainy days, I experimented with a few new recipes, none of which I really liked. It wasn't a matter of even tweaking things a little, I think the recipes were just bad. Not bad enough to do the compost walk of shame, but bad enough that I'd never serve any of it to guests or company. The other happy vegan and I, well, what can I say, we ate what I cooked because that comes with the territory, especially when dealing with organic and fair trade ingredients.

Now that the sun is shining I don't feel like experimenting in the kitchen for a while.  I'm still pretty much off sugar for the most part (torture, sheer torture I tell you) but after this many days, the cravings are finally diminishing, and the headaches are (mostly) past.

Things are slowly beginning to shift into "summer" mode here in the Keys.  The roads aren't as busy, the shops aren't as busy, and some restaurants are already converting to their "summer hours" schedules.  It's really hard to believe that we're headstrong into May, but here we are. With each passing day, we creep closer and closer to the summer solstice and my favorite season.  Even in the Keys I still embrace summer in all its glory. The turtle nesting activity becomes busier as the summer wears on (walks are going on daily, but no nests here on Long Beach... yet) which is something that never gets old.

Peri gets longer in the summer time too, he and I are still thick as thieves.  Tonight when I got home from boot camp, he was trotting down my driveway to greet me.  We spent some quality time together, and then parted ways; he to have his evening adventures, while I had a handful of chores to do before settling in with my own feline family.

I'll see you tomorrow out on the street for sprints and jumps in my finally-broken-in Brooks. The forecast calls for 80 and sunny. I think I'm going to like tomorrow, like it a lot.  See you later!

1 comment: