Recent_Comments

Saturday, April 21, 2012

It's Raining, It's Pouring...the 7 Mile Bridge Run is Cancelled

For the first time in 31 years, the annual 7 Mile Bridge Run is cancelled due to weather.  I read on on line the decision was made as the runners were lined up for the start, just about 7:30am.  I'm not sure why they even bothered to go through those motions, the radar last night was pretty telling.

Early evening yesterday we headed down to Key West to sign up for, and participate in, a long term cancer study.  The data gathering was part of a Relay for Life event at one of the parks in Key West.  I read about the call for participants in the paper not too long ago, and figured what the heck, its time for some vegans to represent. I've probably never mentioned it before, but on my long list of phobias is needles.  Through my entire life this has caused some troubles at times, most notably when blood drawing is involved.  I knew there would be the need for blood sampling so I resolved myself to the fact.  All was well until I saw the waiting line for the phlebotomists.  It wasn't like I filled out my questionnaires, had my assessment, and just moved along for the blood draw.  No, instead I was subjected to waiting and watching, and watching and waiting.  Left to my own observations, musings, and imaginary concerns.  I did go through with it, the tech was skilled, I've got no complaints there.  The issue is solely a mental one, and I of course found myself sitting at the edge of the tent afterwards for about 20 minutes regathering my composure, and allowing the sweat which had begun to pour off my body during the draw to dry under the watchful eye of the event coordinators. I am such a total wuss. Afterwards we found ourselves at the Cafe' (yay!) where I managed to eat a little bit and really began to normalize (whatever normal is anymore).

I woke up in the middle of the night to the pounding of rain on my metal roof.  Before I knew it, thunder filled the air, and lightning lit up my room.  The cats pretty much seemed unphased (except of course for Pink Moon who took refuge under the covers and onto my foot).

Today is a rainy day in the Keys.  A very rainy day.

It's unusual to have rain like this at this time of year.  We're still technically in the "dry" season, and we haven't had significant rain for months.  Something colorful on the radar map is splashed from the Gulf through the Atlantic, from the Keys to the mainland. As I mentioned, the 7 Mile Bridge Run is cancelled for the first time in its own history. I'm sorry for all the people who traveled from all over the world for this event.  There's a lot of locals who do participate, but this run is known the world over and does draw an international set as well.  How disappointing for them, indeed.

We're socked in with rain until probably tomorrow.  This is badly needed rain, but its sadly at the expense of an event packed weekend here in the Keys.  The Conch Republic Days are on going in the Upper Keys as well as Key West.  A big bicycle race was slated from the mainland through the Upper Keys.  I cannot imagine the havoc this weather brought to the Relay for Life in Key West throughout the night, and I've already mentioned the cancelled Bridge Run.  Plus it's messing with my own little run I had planned as usual.  I can run in rain, but I won't run when there's lightning.

I suppose if I was a visitor here I would spend part of my day at The Turtle Hospital in Marathon, or maybe some shopping downtown Key West then some lunch.  But, I'm not a visitor, so my regular life just goes on.  We're slogging through our chores, getting drenched periodically.  We've got plans to celebrate a good friend's birthday at a local restaurant so I'm putting the finishing touches on her (vegan! organic!) birthday cake.

I'm not ready for the "rainy" season yet, no way.  This little preview is too early, but will make all the animals (except Peri... he hates the rain) happy.  The deer are bedded down for the day, but when they emerge they'll be scampering about drinking all the fresh water, and searching for the new growth that is sure to come in just a few day's time.

It's raining, it's pouring.  And I've never been a fan of nursery rhymes.


No comments:

Post a Comment