Recent_Comments

Sunday, April 29, 2012

Getting There

I've been all atwitter lately, out of sorts... off kilter... not running on all cylinders I guess. I realized today that my problem was partially stemming from a bad habit I broke long ago, but somehow crept back into my recent daily life... the inability to say "no."

I didn't realize all the extras that were pushing my daily "to do" list further and further from completion were because I was agreeing to virtually every single request that was put upon me from every angle possible.  I used to run my life this way; didn't realize why I had so much work, and so little spare time.  Then when I started my own first business years ago, I realized the power of "no." Being that I'm only human, I fall off the "no" wagon from time to time if I'm not an advocate for my own priorities.

Where am I going with all this you may ask.

Well, when I figured what was the problem, I took action.  I wiped the slate clean.  Yes I finished all the things I had agreed to that I probably should've said "no" to, but once my word is given, its rock solid. So, I finished up all those loose ends.  And I re-wrote a "to do" list which included some closet purging, a nap, time with my cats (and Peri) and a run.

I'm happy to report that I crossed off all of those items from my list, including a run which began at 7:39pm tonight.  I wasn't going to to go.  It's been gloomy weather wise here all day.  Two times the Sun King broke through, but two times clouds swallowed him up.  I wasn't ready to run at either of those 2 very short windows, so I simply prepared to run in the rain, whenever I got to it.

I got to it at 7:39pm, as noted.  It was misting lightly, so obviously it was damp. No matter that the temperature hovered in the mid 70s... I was still cold.  I put on a "winter" running shirt; long sleeves.  My iPod has been exposed to countless downpours, what was a little mist, right?  Then I put on my new sneakers (I'm still breaking in my first pair of Brooks, I have bid farewell to Asics).  As dusk loomed, I took off.  I ran.  Then I sprinted. Then I added jumps into the sprints (oh, this is so necessary; during boot camp one night our instructor took those giant orange road hazard barrels, turned them on their sides, and commanded us to jump over them.  Let's say it didn't go well and I'm practicing my jumping much more ever since). I packed all this into a 35 minute burst of energy.

A recent iced tea cap told me "the cure for anything is salt: the sea, tears or sweat."

I would tend to agree, especially after my own 35 minutes of rain soaked salt.

No comments:

Post a Comment