Recent_Comments

Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Dreaming

Gee whiz, its been slow going for me lately.  My days are devoured by obligations and chores, and my nights are split between exhaustion and insomnia.  Even my insomnia is interrupted lately, if it's not some horrible leg cramp in the middle of the night, its a cat jettisoning off my kidney, or a pounding headache tormenting me. The sliver of time in between all that is spent at boot camp, or running.  The thought of a day off, which is looming not too far away, is keeping me going.

I've got about a month's worth of plans set for my one day off. Plans include a trip to Honest Works Pottery in Key West for a "paint a pot" session (I've been plotting my design for weeks!).  The other happy vegan wants to see a movie (at the Tropic, of course). We both want to eat out (Sugar Apple? Help Yourself? Good Food Conspiracy?  The Cafe? Kaya? So many great choices!)  I want to sit in my hammock all day with my iPod and relax with Peri at one side of me, and cold beverages on the other.  I'd love to get out on the boat and patrol for swimming sea turtles.  I want to run an extra mile or two, take photos of the osprey who is constantly on the branch across the street in the Bight, and sit in our saltwater spa.

I have a mere 24 hours to complete everything noted above, and that's not even mentioning that I want to sleep late too.

The reality will certainly be something very different, but times like this take me back to when I was trapped in an office to earn my living.  I would live for days off and vacation time.  Back then, although the last day in an office before leaving for vacation was sure to be crazy, it was almost always better than the last day I was actually on vacation.  Anticipation I guess.  I would be stuck in the place I didn't want to be (work) dreaming about the place I wanted to be (usually, here) and was happier than if I was actually at the place I was dreaming about (usually, here) dreading the place I had to go back to (work).  What the heck is it about humans that allows us to operate on that level I'll never understand.

So with my day off looming I'm dreaming.  I'm in the place I dream about all the time (here) but I'm still dreaming about a day off in the same place.  I suppose this also has something to do with basic human functioning of keeping hope alive.  Hope for the best.  Hope for the future.  Hope for a positive outcome.  Hope for a miracle. And, hope for a month's worth of plans to manifest in one day off.

My day off isn't today though.  I got up when it was still dark, baked, cooked, and cleaned.  All this and its not even 10am.  I've got the dreaded ride up and back over the 7 mile bridge for Pop today (4 trips over the bridge today, feel my pain), food shopping, paperwork, more cleaning, and whatever else the Universe throws at me. During work I roll with the punches much easier than on any day off.  On my day off, I refuse to make phone calls, refuse to do paperwork, and refuse to do lots of other work-related things.  How can I possibly be expect to do ANY of that when I've got movies, hammocks, cats, pottery, cold beverages, boats and more to tackle?!

No comments:

Post a Comment