Recent_Comments

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Could Have Been Better

I had plans today, big plans.  Of them all, I only accomplished one chore that was actually on my "to do" list, and I didn't get out for a run today either.

Although I woke up earlier than usual, I found myself chasing the clock all day long.  After usual morning work of breakfast and cleaning, I found myself assigned a surprise turtle walk, because the assigned person suddenly could not cover it, and I didn't find out until after breakfast.  I got out on the beach as early as I could, which was not early enough to beat the heat.  I turned to the right on the beach, walked far less than 1/4 mile, and there at the edge of the wrack line stood a cormorant.  She didn't try to flee.  I knew something was wrong.  Again, the rule with birds essentially is: if you see one where you normally wouldn't, or doing something it normally wouldn't, it is in distress.

I evaluated the bird from a distance and walked up in the dune around her.  I was alone, with no rescue gear.  I called Maya.  She was up in Marathon, but said she would come by in 1 hour and we could do the rescue together.

I walked to the one end of the beach looking for evidence of turtles (none), and then back to the cormorant.  I didn't want to wait an hour, the thought of this distressed bird sitting in the wrack for an hour was something I couldn't allow to happen.

I should have left well enough alone.

I got back to the inn and saw 2 guests who had been kayaking.  I asked if they would assist me in the rescue, they agreed.  I got large towels and a carrier, and we headed down to the cormorant.  We set up a blockade, and made the plan.  It was futile, and in the end the bird ended up heading to the sea.  She could fly (thank goodness), but barely, and only skimming the surface.  I lost sight of her in the water.  I walked the beach and surrounding area through the day searching for her, to no avail.

Sometimes "it" is not as bad as "it" looks when animals are in distress. This bird clearly did not have a fractured wing, if she did, she could not have flown and likely would have been dragging the hurt wing.  She did neither.  I can only hope that she was stunned, maybe flew into a power line, and needed some quiet time to re-group.

I'll be back out tomorrow searching for her, just in case.

After that failed effort, I had to finish the rest of the turtle walk, which was about 1 mile.  It was sobering. There was no evidence of turtles, but plenty of evidence of humans.  Plastic.  Line.  Rope. Plastic. Cans.  Bottles.  Plastic.  Did I mention plastic?

When I do turtle walks, I have to keep my focus.  I am there searching for evidence of turtles, and I do this very carefully.  One time a couple years ago I was walking with the other happy vegan (an absolute expert at Turtles: CSI) and I missed tracks.  He saw them, quizzed me on them.  Wasn't going to let my mistake get by. But, the thing is, some of the beaches we walk are very difficult to spot turtle nesting activity, and yes, I once missed tracks and never will forget that.  So, I must keep my focus when walking for nesting purposes. Sure I collect trash.  I pick up line, monofilament and rope which are especially hazardous to turtles.  I collected 3 bags of trash today but was heartbroken leaving the amount I couldn't handle on my own.  The stretch of beach I cleaned on Earth Day is still mostly clean.  I picked up a few things that had come in on the tide, but was pleased that my efforts yielded still clean nesting territory.

Turtle walkers on our beach carry bags and collect trash.  This is a long beach to walk, broken into 3 assigned sections for walkers.  In short order, the territory will be looking much better.  I just wonder with a broken heart what will it take for humans to learn?  Stop with the plastics.  Buy in bulk.  And, yes, my pet peeve as I've written about before... those "Capri Sun" juice bags... well I saw far too many bags today than I could count. One minute of juice, forever in a landfill.  All in the name of convenience.  I pick on Capri Sun because they are so identifiable. Perhaps their "great" marketing & branding department has done too fine of a job, because it seemingly takes much longer for those labels to fade than almost anything else I find. I always know Capri Sun thanks to those long lasting labels.

Today could have been better.  The cormorant escaped.  More trash existed than I could collect on my own.  I fell hours behind on chores, and didn't stop and smell the roses so to speak.  I have only myself to blame if I'm disappointed with what I did today so I find myself resolving to make tomorrow count double.

Keep your fingers crossed.

No comments:

Post a Comment