Recent_Comments

Tuesday, December 13, 2011

A Semi-True Story

I had occasion to dress up (well, by Keys standards anyway) and go to a Christmas party.  I've made a decision to go to as many parties as possible, no small feat considering my job, and all the other responsibilities I've accepted in my life.  So, I got dressed up Keys-style and got in my car under a bright sunny sky.  Feeling pretty good. Damn good actually.  Driving down the Overseas under the warm December sun I channel surfed the satellite radio and ended up with vintage 80s rock.  Pounding rock and roll, the kind when "max" on the dial is not good enough.

I continued to drive.

Traffic was pretty heavy.  Its high season down here now.  This is the "it" place, the place to be.  Of course it is.  I'm no fool.  I was just whining about temps in the 20s and 30s a couple days ago.... I'm back home where its still pressing close to 80 degrees.  I rolled down the windows.  Wind whipped through my car, and my hair.  No need to change the station, the Universe was on my side as the unseen DJ kept playing more favorites.  I'm heading south.... my favorite drive. South anywhere is always a good thing when driving.  North means cold.  South means warm.  Here, South also means an incredibly scenic drive.

As I approached Boca Chica I heard them before I saw them.  Navy jets.  Indeed they were up there.  Traffic began to do some pretty squirrelly things.  Everybody wanted to watch the Navy jets but they also wanted to keep driving...a bad combination.  I persevered, and let off the gas a bit, giving the guy in front of me some extra room in the event there was some exceptionally bad driving.  Thank goodness there wasn't.  At the same time I also tried to turn up the radio.  It was already at "max" but I wanted more.  Sunshine.  Rock and roll. Navy jets.  A good outfit with some great accessories. Wind whipping everywhere.  It was just another day, but it was a perfect moment. A feeling of happiness and immense American pride washed over me.

I pulled over, opened my car doors, let the music blast, grabbed the teeny American flag I keep in my car and began to dance, alone, off the side of the road while I waved my flag at the pilots who were doing those unbelievable square side rolls and turns that I usually only see at air shows.  At that moment a very large pickup truck pulled up right behind my car.  The door opened, and out popped a young man in what I shall describe as military fatigues.  He had a hat on and very dark sunglasses.  Boots too.  Classic young military. Very polite.  And very hot.  He ma'am-ed me, then joined in my happy dance to the sound of Bon Scott blaring out of my open car doors.  I honestly said nothing at all, I was pretty surprised.  Before I knew it, the song was over. There were barely seconds between the end of that song and the beginning of the next, but there was just enough space for me to say "thank you!"  He smiled, ma'am-ed me again, hopped into his big pick up truck and left.  I waved my flag as he disappeared into traffic, then got back into my car and continued my way South.

I was a few minutes late to the party.

No comments:

Post a Comment