Recent_Comments

Saturday, December 3, 2011

Hellyeah, VEGAN BONGOS!

I got the mangrove shot tonight!  But that will have to wait til tomorrow, I've got something way more exciting to report.

We went to the Sugarloaf Craft Show today at the Sugarloaf School. The few times I've missed this show for any reason results in me spending the rest of the year moaning that I missed the show.  Its a great one, with a totally homespun flair.  This show brings out some great local talent, and I found a new fave today.... Mr. Bongo Man.  Ok, that's not his real name of course, but that's what I'm calling him.

Mr. Bongo Man makes drums & other percussion instruments completely out of wood.  I was looking at all sorts of arts & crafts when I realized I heard live percussion playing along to some jazzy/funky music.    When I looked around to find the source, I saw Mr. Bongo Man grooving to music playing a pair of hand made bongos.  I ran right over, couldn't help myself.  I was totally excited.  You don't know this, but I've been searching for vegan bongos for a couple years. I guess I don't really need bongos, who does, right?  Then again, I could say who DOESN'T need bongos.

Finding vegan bongos is no small feat.... 99.9% of what I've found have animal skins; a huge "no way" in my world.  About 2 weeks ago I found a guy on line who makes very fine percussion instruments out of wood.  They're very beautiful, and very unaffordable for me as someone who wants vegan bongos for no reason. So, imagine my glee today when I met Mr. Bongo Man and his hand crafted wooden percussion.  He had me hook, line & sinker and I simply could not have been any happier.  This is what I chose today:



My vegan bongos and a shaker too!

You purists out there may take issue with me for calling these "bongos."  Technically they are actually called "cajon" drums.  Box drums.  I actually knew this even before I began chatting with Mr. Bongo Man.  But, let's just call them bongos, for the sake of my own happiness, ok?

I've been bongoing up a storm today.  The other happy vegan has been pretty good natured, but he did have some issues when I was bongoing in the car.  I switched to the shaker for a little while... believe it or not he found bongoing in the car a little distracting (that's a nice way of saying he was becoming extremely agitated and annoyed with me).

I found some other really cool things at the Sugarloaf show today, and saw some old friends too.  I love meeting the craftspeople at shows, admiring their wares, complimenting their hard work, and choosing unique, artisan crafted special gifts for those I love.... even for me!  My vegan bongo quest has come to a close.  I think we could end a few wars if more people had some vegan bongos.  There's nothing like it in the world, they're AWESOME!



1 comment:

  1. Hi, do you know the vegan Schlagwerk bongos?
    https://www.bongos.de/schlagwerk-wooden-bongos-wbm100/

    ReplyDelete