Recent_Comments

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Superboats Are In Town!

I appreciate machines, I really do. Doesn't matter if its a pink Kitchen-Aid mixer, or a 40' offshore raceboat.  They're both fine machines.

And, speaking of powerboats... the Superboats are back in the Keys for the 31st annual offshore powerboat races.  These races are for the World Championship.  I'm pretty sure this is my favorite event of the year.  Here's a picture I took of one of the boats at a race I attended a prior year.



How gorgeous is THAT?!!!

I expected to be hearing some offshore powerboats passing by my house over the weekend. I was waiting for them, yet heard nothing; saw nothing.  I kept checking.... listening. Nothing.  I was a little disappointed about that. I had my binoculars at the ready. Its kind of like a Pavlov's Dog thing with me and and offshore powerboats.  I hear the motors and instinctively go running for the binoculars. I guess it was a blessing in disguise that I didn't hear any this year.  I would have accomplished much less around the house if they were dashing by every few minutes.

On my two rides down and back to Key West over the last two days I did see a fair amount of powerboats being trailered down.  I also saw a huge trailer and motor home making its way down the Keys all painted up with one of the team names and logo splashed all over them.  That was nice to see.

Yes, I know this is a guilty pleasure, powerboating, being that I'm all about the eco thing.  But, its not me that's out there, so try and have a little compassion for me on this, please?

We've got some passes for the events over the course of this week.  Our plan is to get down there tomorrow and check things out, meet some people, marvel at the machinery.  When the boats are racing, there is a thunder that is unbelievable. You can hear nothing else, except the "shuke shuke shuke" sound of the helicopters following the boats at a very low altitude.  Its a pretty big adrenaline rush as a spectator, I can only imagine the feeling the throttleperson and driver have in the races.

It's all so very good.

You may wonder why a pink Kitchen-Aid mixer kind of kicked off this blog post which is mostly about the offshore powerboat races.  I couldn't help myself, I've been working in my kitchen for a few hours now making triple batch after triple batch of vegan white not-buttercream frosting for the big cake with the missing weird circle piece.  My Kitchen-Aid is amazing.  I wish I had a larger one because I use it so very much, but my small pink mixer has yet to fail me once after all these years.  Its been humming along nicely for long stretches this morning, and hasn't complained once.  So when I think of awesome machinery, I think "Kitchen-Aid mixer" and then of course the superboats.  See, I'm an appreciator of all the Universe has to offer.  I can just as easily admire my mixer as I can admire a boat that easily costs more than triple the last house I owned.

So, I'm running my mixer, still listening for the faint sound of a powerboat going past my slice of heavenly ocean.  If that fails, at least I take great comfort knowing I'll be in Key West tomorrow to see them, and then I'll be front and center for the race finals this weekend.  Another slice of awesomeness in the Keys.

See you there!!!  Vroom Vroom!


No comments:

Post a Comment