Recent_Comments

Thursday, September 22, 2011

Animal Antics

My friend Mr. Sandman wants to visit, but my cats are keeping him far at bay.

What is it that makes my felines rise at 4 in the morning to do whatever it is they need to do, which isn't really anything that cannot wait til a more human hour.  The cats are tormenting me lately. I only narrowly averted disaster overnight last night by less than half an inch.  Lemon was sleeping near my head, which is relatively common. Pink Moon was preoccupied by something in the bathroom, which I believe was a baby gecko (I guess this because I found said baby gecko -- alive -- behind a jar on the bathroom counter when I got up to investigate).  Pink Moon is a gecko spotter.  There's almost no doubt when she's got one in the crosshairs; she is relentless in her pursuit.  So, when I see her like that, I intervene. Last night however, here was no chance of that, it was dark, I was half asleep (it was after 4am) when I heard glass being shoved on the bathroom countertop. At first it was just a small noise, but it was enough to wake Lemon, which in turn made me semi-conscious.  Then it happened, the perfect storm.  Pink Moon made another shove of glass on the countertop, I turned over towards Lemon, and Lemon became spooked. These 3 things happened all at the same time. In an instant Lemon was leaping up, using his hind feet to shove off my face. It wasn't even my face actually, he shoved off my eyes. Yup, he dug his back feet directly into my right eye. Being that I was only semi-conscious in the middle of turning over, my eyes weren't yet full open, just slightly. So, that fluke averted a disaster. It was awful.  His leaping really spooked Pink Moon who freaked out totally in the bathroom and everything on the countertop came crashing down on the bathroom floor, which freaked out all the cats, and the  humans in the room.

Animal antics. I wish they'd happen in the daytime, not after 4am; not when there's a good chance some misplaced clawed paw will end up skating across my eye(s).  It was a rude awakening, and I've been awake since then.  The positive of all this?  I got up and rescued the little baby gecko and sent him on his way back outside where he belongs.

Almost bedtime. I'm beginning to think goggles might be appropriate bedtime attire.

No comments:

Post a Comment