Recent_Comments

Monday, August 1, 2011

Intervention on the Way?

We went to Key West for dinner one night recently. LaTrattoria has opened an additional location, this one ocean front. I've been stalking their opening for weeks, and was happy to hear they've arrived. We headed down, and had a great meal. I would go back.

As we were eating, we made our plans for desert (The Cafe) and then another cocktail for me at Virgillio's (next to LaTrattoria on Duval). None of those plans came to fruition. After dinner, we were walking around when I realized I wanted to be back home. Home. With my cats. With the Key deer. With my backyard beach, palm trees and setting sun. The winds were soft and warm, and Big Pine was whispering on them.

We got to the car and began the short drive to the edge of the city when I saw that the Borders Express was going out of business. This is sad news indeed, as Key West is drying up for bookstores. Why? A city with a long rich literary history should be paved from end to end with bookstores. But, sadly no more. The internet, I think, is killing many types of storefronts, including bookstores. There will be 2 independent book sellers left in Key West now, that's it for the whole city.

I'm a gal who loves bookstores. I love being surrounded by the sweet temptation of books. Roaming from section to section, not knowing where will I end up. The smell of a bookstore is like no other. Besides, I'm not "techy" and at least for now you won't see me with one of those e-readers many people seem to find so trendy.

Anyway, this bookstore is going out of business. I said to Mr. Happy Vegan "hey, stop, let's go in there!" So we did. After a few minutes browsing, I ended up in the cookbook section (small surprise, right?) I began looking through the shelves, and found about 3 shelves full of vegan cook books as well as general healthy eating. Mecca.

I looked instantly for the 1 cookbook I desperately want, but haven't bought. They didn't have it. So, I looked more closely at what WAS left. I started to get woozy.... too many choices. Then, I sat down on the floor. Mr. Happy Vegan sighed heavily, for he knew I would be there a while.

Pulling book after book off the shelf, I began to chat with a woman next to me. Turns out she is from Italy, but now lives in Key West. As we chatted off and on, she gave me a recommendation for 1 book, and I gave her my recommendation on one she had in her hands that was a favorite of mine. In what seemed like just seconds, the store dimmed its lights.... closing time! WHAT? How the heck did THAT happen?

It was the moment of reckoning... time to choose. After practically swearing on my life after my last purchase of 3 more cookbooks (only a few short weeks ago), I found myself heading to the register with 4 more cookbooks. Mr. Happy Vegan just looked at me, hanging his head.

After swearing off cookbooks, 4 more have incredibly made their way into my home. For the last couple days I've been reading them cover to cover. In no particular order. Skipping back and forth. I feel like a kid in a candy store, combined with being the kid who ATE the entire candy store. I'm flipping book to book, recipe to recipe. Feeling all giggly and giddy. I've already tried 3 recipes, only 1 of which was a partial fail (which was my own fault). Today I've got several more experiments on tap, and a few more hours of reading.

Poor Mr. Happy Vegan. He's probably secretly planning an intervention for my book buying. Either that, or simply worried that he'll be the next thing I toss out on a clutter busting day to make room for even more books.

No comments:

Post a Comment