Recent_Comments

Thursday, June 9, 2011

What A Difference A Day Makes

Today was a pretty good day, the best day I've had in a while. No need to re-hash my sadness in yesterday's post, right? Right. I decided when I woke up, shake it off, shake it off.

The morning chores went well, then I took Pop up for his golf game. We talked, which almost always helps put things into a better perspective. It was a nice ride up to his club (too bad that bridge is always part of the ride), but anyway I was feeling ok when I got home. Lots more chores were waiting for me, today was over scheduled; time flew by. We got good and exciting news about 2 projects we've been concentrating on, which I promise will share that information when there's more concrete things to write about.

I guess the icing on the cake of my day, as usual, has to do with food. Remember the red velvet efforts I made back in the winter, all in the name of Valentine's Day? Well, the recipe I was looking for high and low magically appeared to me just the other day, and tonight I finally made red velvet cupcakes. Minis. Cute, tiny minis. Cute, tiny RED VELVET minis. I ate one hot from the oven. The flavor was I think just right. Not quite chocolate, not quite devil's food. That's because they're red velvet. Unfortunately, they are not red at all. Not even a slight shade of brown. I think I used alkaline cocoa (but yay, its organic, fair trade), so I think tomorrow I'm going to experiment (ut oh....) and add some beet juice for coloring. The recipe I used has a good amount of fresh grated beets. This is what gives these tiny, cute cupcake-lettes their velvety goodness. They have an earthy flavor to them, its hard to describe, you know you're eating chocolate, but there's a richer, more complex flavor in these thanks to some happy grated beets. I don't think a little beet juice will mess with it too much.... will it?

Cake makes me happy. When I'm sad, I should just know better by now, make cake.

What a difference a day makes. That, and some cake. Score one for the happiness fairy.

No comments:

Post a Comment