Recent_Comments

Saturday, June 25, 2011

Success!

I did as planned yesterday... took control of clutter, purged more things, did lots of laundry, and began to reorganize my life behind the scenes here. I feel pretty good about this.

One of the things I also did yesterday was my first official 5k. I don't know why 5k's are so popular. People seem to travel far & wide for them, but it's only 3.1 miles. This is something I do almost every day. Admittedly, I typically do not run with a time in mind, and I also tend to toss in a fair amount of strength training in on the run. But, my trainer at the gym told me about something called a virtual 5k to raise money for diabetes. Lots of the people I know at the gym are runners. They travel all over going to destination runs, including half marathons, whole marathons, 5ks and a few other wonderful events. That is just not for me. Between the issue of having to leave here (almost impossible due to work obligations) and the fact that those events are almost always starting early in the morning even locally (again not do-able due to work obligations), I just never joined in any of those reindeer games. However, a virtual 5k? All I had to do was register, pay my entrance fee (a donation towards diabetes research), and run 5k sometime over 3 designated days. After the run, you submit your time. Easy enough, and I decided why not.

So, I ran.

I didn't get out there until almost noon yesterday, the heat was incredible, and my last half mile was one of constant bargaining ("If I make it to that next mail box running, I can walk after that." When I made it to the mail box, I would re-bargain "you can run a little more, just to that tree... ok?" You see what I mean by bargaining, right?) I turned in a time I'm not too ashamed of, including a 10 minute first mile (wow, that's stellar for me) but there was no way I could keep up that pace. No way. With every breath I took, the air felt too heavy, my body wouldn't cooperate. I finished in 39 minutes. The 2nd mile was slower than the first, and that third mile was even slower than the second. But, I thought I could do better. So, plans are to time myself on today's run, and tomorrow's too. I will submit the best time. At least, that's the plan. I know if circumstances don't allow me to get back out today or tomorrow, I did participate, I will submit my time. I'm satisfied.

I've got a list of things to do today as long as my left arm (which is longer than my right arm, so there), and I better get cracking. I have a nagging feeling that I should be trying a new recipe or two today, but no, I'm shoving those evil time-eating thoughts aside. I'm going to concentrate on continuing the re-claiming of my life, getting rid of more "stuff," and spending some quality time with the kitties. That, and hopefully another timed 5k..... can't hurt, might help, right? Have a great day all!







No comments:

Post a Comment