Recent_Comments

Friday, June 3, 2011

Storms & Cookies

Wednesday, June 1 technically marked the start of the "wet" season...the big "H...." hurricane season. So, here we are again. Not much really changes in my day to day activities, except for usually making note of the "tropical update" on the weather stations, which I did in fact do today.

Some people down here have ceremonies in order to protect us from storms, while others say prayers. You won't find me in either of those crowds; I'm busy making lists and packing my hurricane kit. We intend to be as prepared as possible in the event a storm hits, this year more than ever (lesson learned from the fire). Mr. Happy Vegan and I were just this morning discussing additional preparation plans.

If we lose our power, we have a generator. I love my generator. Power goes out here often, for no reason at all. I guess this is part of island living. Our generator is raised up, waaaay up, from the ground, and is one of my favorite things. But, even favorite things can go on the fritz, so if that happens, I must be prepared. And, for me, being prepared means being able to have cookies, no matter the weather, the power or any stinky storm that may come our way. To that end, I created a new raw cookie recipe as part of my hurricane preparedness. Eh, I admit, maybe it wasn't totally for hurricane preparedness, but sounded like as good as any excuse to make cookies to me.

Have you tried something called a "Contrast Cookie" yet? My friend Bonnie from Good Food surprised me with one a few weeks back. Impossible to get here on Big Pine, but she scored one in Key West, and brought it back for me. It's a tasty raw cookie confection, I guess you could equate it to a vanilla and chocolate thumbprint cookie. I savored every last bite of that cookie, I really did. I'm not one for raw cuisine, it takes too much planning on my part, the soaking and sprouting that is. Besides, after the food competition with 3 raw food entries, I was pretty much raw fooded out for a while. But, along came that cookie, so good that its been on my mind ever since. That, and "how can I make my own."

I kept the wrapper, it had the ingredients listed. I went for it, my first attempt at a raw food cookie, and I'm relieved enough to call this a success on the first attempt, which as you know NEVER happens in my little kitchen. I shipped off a box of them to the gals at the store for a special treat, and kept a few here for Mr. Happy Vegan. I think those Contrast Cookies are the bomb, but my little fan club remarked they think my cookies are just as good, if not better. That's a compliment I'll surely take to heart. And, no, these babies aren't just "dough" as someone actually remarked to me when I said something about raw food cookies.... please! There's not one speck of gluten or any refined sweeteners in these vegan (of course!) gems.

We're busy planning and preparing our storm kit. My cookie recipe goes in the kit, and the list of ingredients are some of the "last minute additions" to add to the kit in case we ever really do have to get out of Dodge (let's hope not). There it is, my list. Water, cat food, bird food, Angel, cats, cookie recipe & cookie ingredients. What else could I possibly need in case we have to evacuate? I can make these babies in the trailer while Mr. Happy Vegan navigates our way to safety. Sounds like a plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment