Recent_Comments

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Let's Bake!

Its a big kitchen morning at Deer Run today. After breakfast I cleaned up the pots & pans as quickly as possible, then loaded the first of several loads into the dishwasher. I've got cupcakes and cookies on the agenda today.

Sure, you heard about the red velvets in all their velvety goodness. I'm making another batch of them, along with a batch of what bakers everywhere seem to call the "Elvis" which is any combo of peanut butter, chocolate & banana (that Elvis, he knew his food). All in the mini-variety, nicer for a party, don't you think? But, my kitchen will smell best as soon as the macaroons go in the oven.

I make awesome macaroons. They are, without a doubt, the coconutiest macs I've ever had. I went without macaroons for years, being vegan and all. I dabbled here and there with a few recipes, but they were never just as I wanted. One day I came upon a recipe, and began to play with it. I actually wrote my changes out so I wouldn't forget (bad happy vegan, bad bad happy vegan.... I always forget to do the writing down part) and before I knew it, I had moist, chewy coconutty vegan macaroon goodness. They've got 4 types of coconut and coconut flavorings in there, all the "real deal" of course, meaning organic. And, never, but never would I want to use that coconut the supermarkets sell in those little bags, sweetened I guess it is. No, I want real shredded, dried, unsweetened coconut. My macaroons are always chocolate dipped, so picture these little dreamy drops dipped in the best organic, fair trade vegan chocolate you'd want to lay your mitts on. Yes, chocolate dipped coconut macaroons, of the vegan, organic variety. Life can be so very good.

My macaroons and I are going to go far. Someday they'll be in homes, stores & restaurants across the world. For now, I'll settle for them here on Big Pine Key, and in my happy vegan tummy.

The mixing bowls & spoons continue to call. Til next we meet!

No comments:

Post a Comment