Recent_Comments

Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Cats Have Staff

Although its been probably years since I've slept well, the last few nights have been worse than usual. I'm blaming the cats. They've been especially rambunctious lately, especially at night. Using my body as a heliport in the middle of the night has become relatively common. The howling, running, and jumping at imaginary things seems to have amped up lately though. This behavior matters not in their world. Their food is still plentiful, their litter pans are cleaned, their toys are still scattered about, and things are as they should be in their world. They've got naps, sunny patches, catnip, and warm laps. Their antics however, do not insure a peaceful world in my reality though.

Two nights ago when I went to bed, I had to pick Lemon up and move him aside. He was sprawled across the entire bed, I'm not sure how a 14 pound cat can find a way to inhabit an entire king size bed, but he did. I moved him and plunked myself down. He became indignant, and plunked himself down on me, as I was now in "his" spot. In minutes, the rest of the crew arrived, and I found myself completely fenced in by felines. This included my pillow. I "slept" for hours as a contortionist. I paid for it the next morning. Pain.

The next night came and went, and it was pretty much a repeat of the same thing. But, now there was a cumulative effect from the sleeping contortions. So much so that when I got up yesterday, I found myself in pretty bad shape. By mid-afternoon yesterday (yup, my Solstice happy day) I could barely hold my head up. The slightest movement caused searing pain to shoot partly down my arm, partly down my back. What is this I wondered. It got worse.

Nothing worked. Ice, essential oils. massage, and finally a too high milligram dose of something I rarely take.... real medication. It didn't work either.

I went to bed last night in excruciating pain. Every movement on the bed, every paw print on the sheet caused that white hot pain. When I tell you that I have not slept, I MEAN that I have not slept.

When I dragged myself out of bed this morning, I found myself having difficulty doing the simplest of tasks. This eventually resulted in a kitchen mishap at way to early an hour, and me wondering aloud "is this what today will be like?"

I have decided I do not want today to be a washout... let's turn it around I affirmed.

I've been steamrolling through the pain to get my chores done, and then I'm going out to do some errands, visit some friends, do some shopping, and then see if by later tonight I can make it through a boot camp class. Mind over matter I've decided.

I'm not completely sure about this mind over matter philosophy for today. But, it sounded good, and as I look outside I see an unbelievably beautiful blue sky. I'm convinced I just cannot let today go by in a pain induced stupor.

It all boils down to the truth in the quote "dogs have owners, cats have staff." Indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment