Recent_Comments

Thursday, May 5, 2011

White Crowned Pigeon!

Thanks to the Universe aligning for me, I didn't have to cook breakfast this morning; our guests had other plans! I "slept in" until 7:20 this morning. That's almost noon-ish in B&B terms. I was pretty happy about this whole "sleeping in" thing. I had my coffee, read the paper, visited with the kitties, watched Peri (and Elsa) have their breakfast, folded 3 baskets of laundry, and still managed to get outside for a run by about 8:30. Everything was going along just swimmingly until my iPod made a funny noise and announced in the best voice it could "battery low." I thought, well, this has happened before, I can get my miles in no problem! It will last, and then I'll charge it when I get home. About 1/4 mile later, it was unceremoniously done. Finished. Kaput.

AUGH.

Running without my iPod? I haven't done that in months. My choices were turn around and go home, or press ahead. It seemed ridiculous to consider going home. It was a beautiful morning, really it was great. Plus, being out so early I didn't have the heat to contend with as I usually do. I tossed the bad thoughts out, kept the iPod in my ears, and went about my business. I had imaginary music swirling in my head helping me keep my pace. I began to pay attention to all that was around me and started to hear the crabs rustle in the scrub, fish splashing in the Bight, and all the different bird songs. I forgot how amazing it can be running in silence. Really, this road is so exceptionally quiet most times, especially mornings.

I passed just 2 other people; 1 walking, the other on the way back from the Lodge to get coffee & a paper. The only other company I had was the animal kingdom surrounding me. All told, I saw 2 types of iguanas, several very large land crabs, many endangered Key deer (no fawns seen this morning), lots of red winged blackbirds, cardinals, mourning doves, osprey, ibis, an unknown type of small hawk, several types of small shore birds, egret, a huge great white heron, a few other birds I couldn't identify, and the kicker of them all.... my first white crowned pigeon of the year. I am sure it was a WCP, he flew very near overhead, I have no doubt what I saw. I looked for his mate, but no one else flew by.

I'm so excited to see the white crowned pigeons every year. These birds are threatened by loss of habitat, hunting (no longer allowed) and other issues like pesticides. In our country, they are found only in the Florida Keys, and the southernmost part of the Florida mainland. We've had birders come from far away places to stay at Deer Run hoping to add "white crowned pigeons" to their life lists, many have gone home without spotting any. Disappointing for them, I feel their pain. I do not take it for granted being able to see these beautiful birds, which is why I was so excited to see one today.

I admit, the iPod is back on the charger, tomorrow I do not plan on a silent run. I may change my mind once I'm out there, but I won't have the benefit of being out so early tomorrow. Back to reality, running in the already blistering mid-afternoon heat. It's all good, even better with Mother Nature at the helm. A little funky soul on the iPod never hurts either.

No comments:

Post a Comment