Recent_Comments

Wednesday, May 11, 2011

The Smell of Summer

My calendar informs me technically its not summer. I beg to differ because I smell Summer.

How can one actually smell Summer, you might ask. Well, as easy as it is to smell Autumn in the leaves, Winter in the snow, and Spring in cut grass is as easy as it is to smell Summer in the suntan lotion.

The weather is changing down here. We're on the edge the dry season ending, and the wet season beginning. Its getting hot, and will get hotter. Heat indexes are moving into the 90s some days already. Locals are planning time off and talking about vacations. Best of all, almost everywhere I go, I smell tanning butter. Often that's because its slathered on me. Going outside for a run? Don't forget the suntan lotion. Working in the garden? Suntan lotion. Beach cleaning? Suntan lotion.

Our guests bring an array of sun care products. Lotions, butters, creams, sticks, and more. The smell is constantly in the air. Although I don't use Hawaiian Tropic, Coppertone or Banana Boat any longer, I can identify their smell anytime, anywhere. They take me back to my own looooong days and nights spent at the Jersey shore. I was an SPF 6 Hawaiian Tropic gal (I hear the dermatologists groaning with that admission). Seemed like everyone wore one of those 3 brands. Hawaiian Tropic smells best, its like an instant road trip down Memory Lane. There's nothing wrong with that in my world, when it comes to all things beach.

One constant in my life from the beginning is the appreciation of the shore. My parents would take us there, my grandparents had a house there, and the love never left my soul. When I didn't live at the shore, it didn't matter because driving there was simply a fact of life. Every summer weekend I'd wake up at dawn, and be on the road towards my favorite secret shore town just a few minutes later. It didn't matter if it was raining, I always had faith the sun would shine at the shore, so I always made the trip. I'm not kidding. Without fail, I went. If it DID rain, I would often still be on the sand, as long as the lifeguards weren't chasing me off due to lighting risk.

My beach bag was always packed and ready in my car. It had 2 oversize beach towels, a smaller towel for pillow usage, a special pair of sunglasses designated as beach only glasses, binoculars, the SPF 6, hand towels, flip flops, hot pink Zinka for lips (do they even make that anymore???), and a few other choice items. All I had to do upon waking was toss my frozen water bottles in a tiny cooler, pack some fruit & Luna bars, put the hair in a ponytail, and throw on a bathing suit. Out the door I went, heading for the Parkway, VanHalen blasting, and quarters in the console (waaaay before EZ Pass). I'd stake my territory by 8am, cover myself in suntan lotion, and become a human sundial for the day. About 5pm I'd pack up the beach blanket, head to the car, ditch the bag and grab a bite to eat before driving home. The next day would be the exact same scene.

Some weekends I planned evening playtime after spending the day on the beach. If that was the case, I'd have a dress and heels stashed in another bag, hairspray (sorry ozone layer, I was bad back then) and pink lipstick in yet another bag, plus some phone numbers of friends in my wallet so I could find a shower before heading out to a dance club.

I loved it. Was that really me?

I've learned to no longer be a human sundial, and to bump up the SPF factor a few notches since those Jersey shore days. Best of all I don't have to drive to get to a favorite secret beach anymore. But, I still know the smell of Summer, and I hope it lasts forever.

No comments:

Post a Comment