Recent_Comments

Monday, May 16, 2011

Sightings!

Its fawning season down here. The Key deer are beginning to have their babies. I mentioned over a week ago that I saw the first fawn of the season while driving out one late afternoon. Since then I hadn't seen any more at all. Until this weekend.

I'm seeing fawns at every turn. On the road (wish they wouldn't go there!), on other people's yards, in driveways, and in the woods. I've seen several while I'm running too, it doesn't hurt that I've added another mile to my runs... that's another mile to see fawns.

Where I'm not yet seeing any is within our own herd here. I will, I'm sure of it, any day now. I've seen quite a few mommies in our herd, looking read to drop any second. I see their tummies moving like mad, I guess those crazy kids inside are using mom as a punching bag til they break free.

Keep looking at our cam, you will be sure to see fawns in the herd soon. I'll post when I see our first, I'm keeping a close eye on things. I get just as excited as the next person over this, and things are looking good.

Remember when you drive through Big Pine, don't be in too much of a rush. A fawn can jump out into the road following her mommy, and you won't have time to stop if you're not paying attention or driving too fast. What's an extra minute or two between friends anyway. Where have you got to go in such a rush... we're on island time. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment