Recent_Comments

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Rolling on at 102

I finally got some pictures uploaded from my camera onto the computer by Mr. Happy Vegan. There's been a few things over the past few months I've touched on, but didn't post much about because I wanted photos. Here's one of those posts, with a photo.

Pop turned 102 in March. Think about that everyone, 102 birthdays. Still going strong. I love Pop. Mr. Happy Vegan loves Pop. His family loves Pop, and his massive amount of friends love Pop. He's a great role model, and has good intentions in everything he does.

I'm fortunate, I get to spend a fair amount of time with Pop. You know I drive him up and back over the dreaded 7 Mile Bridge for his twice weekly golf games which he runs. Just want to remind you that's a total of 8 trips up and back over that evil bridge for me. I do it because its important to Pop. Those games aren't just games for Pop, rather they bring him to people who are like family for him. They look out for him, often providing meals for him to take home too. Pop has his day on the course, needling the players in the group along, sitting on his cart and thinking a lot. He tells me about the animals he sees during the day, and very often on the drive home he has stories to tell me. He almost always breaks out into song at some point too.

Pop has adapted to the world as it now is, for the most part. He has never touched a computer, and has no plans to do so. That, I think, is really something that emphasizes just how different the world was for most of Pop's life. I don't know, I guess it doesn't really matter, does it? What matters is that I have a friend who waits in a chair for me as I run by, just to wave hello... and is sitting in the same chair waiting to wave again on my way back. It matters that I have a friend who has a special perspective on the world, and it matters that I have a friend who probably appreciates my baking more than anyone I've ever known, including Mr. Happy Vegan. My 102 year old friend is full of important life lessons; he reminds me to be grateful for everything I have, to give to those in need, to always be kind, and to have fun any way I can get it. Pop lives what he preaches, indeed he does.

Friends on the street planned fireworks & cake for Pop's #102, all went off without a hitch. At the end of the celebration, I simply walked up to Pop, collected my requisite kiss, and listened as he put his cake order in for #103... "chocolate cake, honey, with a side of kisses." But of course. You got it Pop.

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to our wave and 'Hello you 2 rascals' on our walks next Feb.

    ReplyDelete