Recent_Comments

Monday, May 2, 2011

FIRST BABY!

She's arrived! We've spotted the first fawn of the season this evening. I'm so happy I could cry.

A friend of mine is in town for a few days R&R. We were heading to Marathon for an early dinner, then off to the Save-a-Turtle of the Florida Keys monthly meeting at The Turtle Hospital. We were driving in a section where there are no houses. I was on the cell phone with a customer, and D was driving. We rounded a bend extra slowly (thanks for being such a conscientious driver by the way!) and an adult doe strolled into the street. D slowed to just about a rolling stop, giving the doe plenty of space. Within seconds, a beautiful baby Key deer emerged from the woods trailing mommy. She was so small, I say this all the time, but so exceptionally small, its a sight to behold. Since I was on the phone I couldn't holler out, instead, I began to smack my poor friend D's arm.... she told me to put in here that I was smacking her "sunburned arm" so I am. Its true, she has sunburn, I forgot, and I smacked the boo-boo. Sorry girlfriend.

We were both jumping in our seats, and I couldn't wait to get off that phone call. The minute I did I began to shout "first baby! first baby! first baby!" and we had our little moment of joy.

First baby. I wish I had my camera, but there will be plenty of opportunities for photos. Its important to stay as far away as possible from the babies to insure their natural instincts take over as much as possible. I want them to be afraid of people and cars. People are not the answer to their survival, rather I believe their survival depends on us protecting their habitat, and interfering as little as possible with these endangered animals. You absolutely cannot help but truly fall in love when you see one of these magnificent baby Key deer.

Yup, first fawn. She's here. That means there's more out there already, and many more to arrive. Make sure if you're driving on Big Pine Key you drive extra slowly. The adult does typically walk out first, and the fawns trail behind a little after. They have no fear, they haven't learned that cars mean death, that people are bad. So, give them a fighting chance at survival, drive S-L-O-W-L-Y and be alert! Its such an exciting time, fawning season. Welcome to the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment