Recent_Comments

Monday, April 25, 2011

It Never Gets Old

The view down here never gets old. I never tire of it, its never boring. Its constantly changing, something new every day, every moment. Its incredible.

I went to Key West today for errands. The roads were surprisingly clogged on the way down, all it takes is one idiot to really throw a kink in things, and today was a banner day for things like that. Satellite radio was my companion, I never thought I'd want that in my car, but now that its here, I love it. Despite the radio, no amount of "HairNation" could do the trick. I had to consciously have a conversation with myself saying I'll get there eventually, just relax and enjoy the ride. So, I did

I believe the ride from the 7 Mile Bridge to just about Rockland Key is the most scenic, gorgeous, soothing part of any drive down the Keys. I was somewhere on Sugarloaf or thereabouts when I completed the inner conversation telling myself to enjoy the ride. I began to observe... the water, the incredible water. It is alive. When its windy it becomes dark. When it is sunny it becomes full of sparkles. When the moon is out, it shimmers, and when storms come, it becomes violent. Today it was full of sparkles, just the most incredible spectrum of every aquamarine shade you could imagine. Its not green, not quite blue. It is the color of heaven I think. If I could find that perfect ocean shade in any paint, I think I'd simply take a sprayer, fill it to the top, and spray my house and everything in it that color. I have a color I put on some walls this year called "sea glass." So far its the closest I can find to the watery ocean dream that surrounds me down here. Nature has a way, its just perfect, humans cannot replicate not matter how hard we try.

As I got closer to the Navy Base, I saw some jets. I shut off my "HairNation" and listened to their thunder. The sweet sound of freedom. I wonder what it must be like to be one of those pilots doing maneuvers over the Florida Keys. I'm pretty sure its an experience that compares to no other.

I saw some cormorants hanging out on wires, and lots of boats sprinkled around. Who are these people that are boating in the middle of the day on a Monday? How is it they can do that, and I have to drive to Key West for errands? Cannot help but have a little pang of envy on that subject.

Once I got into Key West, I had all the windows down and began casually observing the people. Little worker bees everywhere... buzz buzz buzz. I made my stops as quickly as I could, and headed back up the Keys. Once again following another B-A-D driver, but this time didn't really have to refresh myself on the "enjoy the ride" speech... I had the blue of the water, the swaying of the palms, and lots of VanHalen to keep me in line.

That ocean, there is nothing like it anywhere else. Its surrounding me, its protecting me, its nurturing me, and it holds me in balance. I'm not the only one,; ts what lures so many of us here. Once you're in her grip, you just can never go back. Besides, you'd never want to.

1 comment:

  1. I want a ride like that when I do my errands, you are lucky folks!

    ReplyDelete